PDA

View Full Version : East Carson report 8/24-8/25

Mik
08-26-2005, 10:54 AM
My first time on the East Carson. Fished it downstream from the bridge Tues. night and Wed. morning. What a great river!!!!

Tues. Night-----1 fish----14 in. rainbow on a size 16 olive caddis

Wed. Morning-----6 fish-----3 were between 14-16---very chunky---all fish on a size 14 spent wing caddis in olive. Lots of rising fish. I hiked quite a bit downstream. The catching stopped abruptly at 11am.

Hairstacker
08-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Mik, sounds like you did well! Love catching chunky trout and chunkiness on a 14 - 16" trout makes for a very nice fish. :D

Darian
08-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Hey Mik,.... Have you tried hiking in to the river from the road to Indian Creek Reservoir :?: :?: If not, it's a short cut to a part of the river that is difficult to reach form Hangmans' Bridge without a lot of walking time.... 8) 8) 8) This part of the river has some very big Trout in it in the holes.... Well worth the effort. 8) 8)

I can't give you mileage to the spot but it's on a bend in the road where you can see the river before turning towards the reservoir.... See if you can get hold of a TOPO or Forest Service map for the access point.... :D :D :D

Jasonh
08-28-2005, 09:19 PM
That is a nice place to fish. Unfortunately more people are hiking down that way over the past few years and the fishing is not quite the same as it used to be. There are some HUGE fish in there though. Couple of years ago i hooked a brown that pushed 25 in on s sculpin pattern. Good dry fly water as well.

Jason Hartwick

Mik
08-29-2005, 12:23 PM
I actually spent a good 45 minutes looking for a trail that goes down, but I got fed up and went back to the bridge. All I was told was to take the Airport Rd. exit towards Indian Creek Res. I wish I had more detailed directions. I would like to go back and give it a try. I am all for hiking to good spots.

Jasonh
08-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Mik, take the airport road all the way to the runway. There will be a dirt road just before the runway and turn right. It is kinda a little camping area. You can drive down the road for a little ways but then have to park and walk down the trail to the river. I have not fished it in a couple of years so i dont know if you can still drive down the road a ways or not. I f not you can park off to the side and walk down the road which leads to a easy trail. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get to the river going down and 30-45 minutes coming back up. Last bit of it is straight uphill. I would advise you to fish down river or to your left, lots of good water and deep holes to fish with minnow/sculpin patterns. Give it a try and good luck.

Jason Hartwick

Mik
08-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Ok..now I am bumming. I seriously contemplated that road by the airport. Well, now I know.

Thanks,
Matt

PatrickM
08-29-2005, 07:19 PM
I was down the airport trail about a month or so back. It's fairly steep and gnarly, but no problem if you have a 4WD with decent clearance.
I did end up a few Sierra racing stripes on my rig though.
There's supposed to be another trail down once you pass the resevoir. From what I've heard, that trail is a mess, and you shouldn't do it unless you have a serious offroad vehicle.
Hope that helps.