PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Slides

Jay Murakoshi
08-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Ok, here's a question to all of you who do Power Point presentations.
At what resolution do you scan your slides for a power point program.
I've been scanning at the highest resolution and resizing to fit the template.

We have finally succumbed to the fact that enable to continue on the circuit, we have to break down and get into the cyber space world...
BUT, slide presentations are still my number one program.

For those of you who attend the ISE show Sacramento and San Mateo, we will be doing a power point presentation in the '06 show season. In the past, I have made up a couple presentations for my personnal use, but need to get the fine tooth comb out and make a top notch, eye catching program.

So, what resolution size would you scan
Jay

PaulC
08-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Hey Jay,
For most of my work presentations, I'm using 150 dpi on images and it works fine. 75 dpi is cutting it (except for text) and 300 is pretty much overkill for most projectors.
Keep in mind, these are all for static (non-zoom) presentations.
If you're optimizing, I'd try a few of the same shot and see what looks best. If you ever need help tinkering with presentations, shoot me an email.
Hope that helps,
Paul

crashq
09-07-2005, 05:39 PM
While I haven't used them for a slide type presentation, I have used photos in work presentations. For photos, you can scan them in at lower resolutions like 72 or 150 dpi, but since slides are much smaller you want to scan them in at higher resolutions to get the same final resolution.

I don't remember the size of 35mm slides offhand, so I will give you an example using 35mm negatives (24mmx36mm) because I think they are similar if not identical size. If you scan them in at 300dpi (dots per inch).

vertical dots (or pixels) = 24mm x (1 inch/25.4mm) x (300dots/inch)
= 283 vertical pixels

horizontal dots (or pixels) = 36mm x (1 inch/25.4mm) x (300dots/inch)
= 425 horizontal pixels

This gives you a picture size of 425 x 283 pixels at 300dpi. If you scan a 35mm negative in at 600dpi, you get a final picture size of 850 x 567 pixels. Most of the digital projectors currently in use for presentations have a maximum resolution of 800 x 600 pixels. A few old ones may be only 640x480 max and the newest projectors may have higher max resolutions, but this would be the best choice. Thus, if you want to fill up the whole screen with a picture at 800x600 resolution, scan your 35mm negatives in at 600dpi. This will just leave a few extra unused pixels around the edge. You could try to get it exactly, but it isn't worth it because sometimes the projector's picture isn't perfectly aligned and the corners of the screens will get cut out. Also, 600 dpi is a standard setting on scanners and printers for the automatic modes (meaning the easiest mode to use without changing any settings) .

I would also recommend using a scanner that has a separate transparent materials adapter (TMA) to scan slides and negatives. It is easier to use and IMHO gives a better result than a slide holder used on a flatbed scanner.

Jay Murakoshi
09-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks for all the information. I'll be trying all of these suggestions tonight. I'm sure it will take alot of practice runs before I get it down.

Now I'm thinking about purchasing a projector. I looked at Costco and Best Buy. I was glancing at the Epson projector. Whatelse will I need to complete the set up. (cables, remote control, ????? )

Thanks,

Jay

PaulC
09-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Hey Jay,
What we use in our technical presentations to customers at work is a projector, a wireless clicker for changing slides, and a computer.
Pretty cool cause you can just hold the clicker behind your back and scroll throught the powerpoint slides.

Most likely you will need a monitor cable from the computer to the projector, a power cord to the projector, and ideally some form of clicker so you don't have to steer a mouse. Laser pointer is always a plus and I think they are even building those into some of the newer clickers.
http://lasermouse.com/products/lasermouseg/
Haven't used that one, but i'm sure there are lots out there.

Shoot me an email offline if ya like, or let me know if you don't still have my email. Worst case, the folks at best buy can probably suggest the proper hardware and cables.

Great pics from Australia btw. I'm living my fishing life lately vicariously through everyone's pics.
-Paul

Jay Murakoshi
09-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the info

Jay