PDA

View Full Version : Trinity Alps Wilderness

Mario
08-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm going to be spending a week in the Trinity Alps wilderness area. I plan on fishing coffee creek, upper trinity, east fork trinity, stuart fork, and some other streams, but I'm interested in hiking into some alpine lakes and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. Thanks ahead!
Mario

Rick J
08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
most of the lakes up there are stocked with brookies and some have rainbows and a few browns. Things can change from year to year based on how hard the freeze is so a lake that is good one year may not be so great the next.

There are several books around on the Trinities with lots of good hiking trips - give plans on loop trips where you can visit several lakes during a trip - most good sporting goods/backpacking stores would carry them.

Gregg Machel
08-24-2005, 12:49 PM
I know Rob (from the board here) and his boys go up there every year, but I think they are on the way to Utah (moving there). Hopefully he can chime in here and give some tips.

Digger
08-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Trinity Alps Wilderness-
I think several lakes have not been stocked this year or last due to the frog issue. Don't bother with Adams, Echo, Little Caribou lakes which they have gill netted the trout. You might email DFG for recent info about this so you won't waste your time.

If you have access to an August 2004 issue of California Fly Fisher, there's a good article.

Mario
08-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I will post a report when I get back. Any recommendations on flys up there this time of year? I was thinking of bringing a good assortment of caddis, midges, and stones.

Rick J
08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Mario,
Fish are generally not all that selective - you would do well with what you mention. Bring both dries and nymphs and maybe some micro split shot plus a few small buggers/leeches

Digger
08-25-2005, 12:12 PM
I think I would also have a bunch of terrestrials; ants, beetles, hoppers.
Some article I read a while back talked about how much the swirling winds in the mountains pick up ants off trees and spread them across the lakes.
(not that I've had that personal experience)
Good luck and post on your return.