PDA

View Full Version : American River Access Points

Rlynch
08-22-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm trying to get into fishing for some half pounders this year and was wondering what are some good access points along the American that are wadeable and good to fish. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Robert

Darian
08-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi Robert,..... let's start with the points that don't require special permissions, etc. The river below "H" Street (to behind Cal-Expo) contains some runs and faster water that's reached thru Glen Hall Park off Carlson Drive (near Sac-State). 8) 8)

Next area, upstream, is at Howe Ave. This is primarily, a slow water area for launching boats. 8) 8)

Now, Watt Avenue.... This area may be reached from either the north side from American River Drive or south side from La Riviera. The latter is the easiest to use. 8) 8)

The next area is Grist Mill off Folsom Blvd at Bradshaw (actually, Butterfield) for the south side and from Herrington for North side access.... Boats may be launched on the south side. 8) 8)

Goethe Park may be reached off Folsom Blvd for the south side and from the end of Arden on the north side. A foot bridge connects the two sides at this point. 8) 8)

The next two access points are reached off Coloma Road in Rancho Cordova. First, is Lower Rossmor Bar. Take Rossmor turnoff and follow to the parking area. Second is Upper Rossmor bar and may be reached off El Manto from Coloma. 8) 8)

Netx up is Lower Sunrise; reached from Sunrise Blvd (north or south) and Upper sunrise, as well. There is a foot bridge at Lower Sunrise providing access to both sides of the river, here. Upper Sunrise has a more extensive road paralleling the river. 8) 8)

Next is the Sailor Bar area; reached on the south side thru the fish hatchery and a short drive to a parking area downstream. The north side may be reached off Illinois from Hazel or Madison Avenues..... 8) 8)

Each of these arteas provide riffles and runs that might prove productive on any given day. I'd, also, get a street mad of Sacramento and mark it up. Explore.... and have fun.... 8) 8)

Rlynch
08-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Perfect. I guess I'll just start hitting them all and see what happens! Thanks for the info.