PDA

View Full Version : Creek report 8-21-2005

David Lee
08-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Hairstacker and I hit the same stretch as we did the last time this morning .

Slow like MAD - we managed a bunch of dinks nymphing , but couldn't get those devils to chase anything for threats , love , or money .

'Hot' flies were princes , Teenys , and Black Strymphs - not a one of those varmits over 10 inches .... how quickly we go from heros to slackers :oops: :P

Still though , good company beats the crap outta lame fishing anytime - sorry we missed the mini-spey clave , maybe the Feather float next weekend :?: :idea: :?:

Oh , yeah ..... we killed Mikes digi-camera and my Fenwick 4 wt. - some days it rains ...... I guess :roll:

All told , around 40 fish to hand . Thanks for coming up , Mike ..... always a fun day when you're around !!!

David

Hairstacker
08-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Well I certainly had fun. It was slow to start but picked up around noon-time. Along with spotted and smallmouth bass, we also got into largemouth bass this time as we moved into some slower, warmer water further downstream than we had gone before. Don't know why but there were definitely a lot fewer fish following the flies than last time. Nevertheless, David hooked one on top with a crease fly and later caught a double (brought two fish in at the same time) on a two-fly dropper rig. 8) David also caught a scrappy green sunfish in a classic, tiny little weed-infested warmwater cove.

I noticed a few caddis coming off the water and a few splashy rises, so that might explain why David starting picking up action as soon as he switched to nymphs, which they might have taken for caddis pupa. I soon thereafter switched to a black strymph (black ostrich herl tail, dubbing looped thick tapered body of black dubbing, and a brown hen feather at the head tied wet style) and started getting into action. I have no clue what they took the strymph to be, ha, except something buggy-looking. Before that, we were both fishing various leech patterns and I had fished an olive beadhead woolly bugger with limited success. Even though we didn't get into the big ones, it was still a great way to spend a day -- wet wading with a fly rod in a nice cool creek with great company. Thanks again for having me up David! :D