PDA

View Full Version : feather river float

Ed Wahl
08-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Well. I think it's about time to just go ahead and do it. Next weekend is as good a time as any. I have mondays off so I've got three days I can use. Anyone's welcome to join in but as is the case with my high country trout trips, I'll go alone if I have to.I don't know much about the river so if anyone can help with some info it would be greatly appreciated.I checked the mileage on topo from shanghai bend, it's about 17 river miles to the 99 bridge and another 11 or so to Verona. I know I can bail at the 99 if I need to, don't really know how long it takes to float that far.I can go 2 nights but if anyone needs to bail early that shouldn't be too much of a problem to set up.Could use some info on put in spot and take out spots along the way. Join up and we'll work out the details like shuttles and parking as we go along. One way or another I'm going, anybody want in?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Ed,

Jeff Putnam floated this stretch in two drift boats with 3 friends about 3 summers ago. The flow was low (1200cfs) so it took them 3 days/2 night camping to do it. You can email him for info here.

jeff@jpflyfishing.com

I guess you can launch at Star Bend below Shanghi but I am not real sure on this.

What will you be floating in/on?

Some other firends who have a new canoe/kayak touring business have been working on that float too. I told them about it so they have been trying to get legal for commercial floats.

August is suppose to be a top month for Smallmouth Bass in the Feather River.

Early and late I would throw Clouser Minnows and weighted black or brown wooly buggers or leeches against the steep banks and snags.

Try medium size white poppers in the AM and PM too.

I hope you take a lot of pictures.

I want to do this myself some day.

Ed Wahl
08-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks Bill, I'll be in a 14 foot old town stillwater canoe. It'll hold plenty of camping gear and still have room left over. I've caught a bunch of smallies in the North Fork American over the years but they run kind of small, I'm hoping to do better on the Feather. I'll shoot Jeff note and see if he's got any advice for this trip.