PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Saltwater

k.hanley
08-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Since I posted this on DB's board, I thought you folks would enjoy it as well…I spent three weeks conducting saltwater clinics at Baranof Wilderness Lodge (Baranof Island/ Southeast AK).

The first week, in late July, we concentrated on pink salmon running the wind seams and tide lines. Most pinks were cruising the upper five feet of the water column. We also caught rockfish galore around rocky shorelines, pinnacles, and kelp forests. Species included dusky, widow, yellowtail, boccacaio, silver grey, and more. In addition folks working conventional rigs had no problem catching halibut and a few bonus king salmon.

Week two, early August, saw the pink salmon populations building in the staging areas. Estuary flats and mouths of bays were the ticket. Silvers were also beginning to show around the outside kelp. Rockfish continued to put on a show… topwater action was insane! Halibut continued to bend rods. Dolly varden became a target species for river adventures.

Week three, mid August, the silvers were on fire! It’s my favorite game without-a-doubt. Mint bright coho were tearing into herring at the surface. Kelpbeds, good current, lots of baitfish… that’s a combination that saltwater cohos can’t resist. They put on a terrific show for flyrodders. We caught most fish in the upper 10’ feet of the water column. Pink salmon continued to build in the estuaries and provided excellent sight fishing opportunities (ala bone fishing of the north). Long casts cutting fish 20’ from a school is always a great game. Rockfish action continued to put smiles on faces, the fish seemed larger this week. Conventional gear produced plenty of halibut action in both shallow and deep water locations. Another bonus king salmon was caught as well.

I forgot to mention each week a few folks took a day off to chase (and enjoy catching) cutthroat in both lake and river habitat.

Humpback whales were everywhere. They put on amazing shows almost daily. These were some of the best encounters I’ve ever had. We witnessed orca adults apparently showing a young orca how to successfully hunt porpoise. That was a jaw-dropping site! Awesome bear encounters also provided lifetime memories.
Cheers, Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks Ken

I would love to see some pictures.

I am sure you will have a slide presentation for this trip in the future?

I have not heard of anyone doing this AK salt water fly fishing and you are the person to pioneer it.

k.hanley
08-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Say Hey Bill,
Why don't we set up a time to do a slideshow at your shop buddy? Let me know if that sounds good for the Autumn season. 8)
Cheers, Ken