PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead & Halfpounder reports?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2005, 12:13 AM
North Umpqua?

Deschutes?

Lower Klamath?

Lower Rogue?

Lower American?

Rlynch
08-20-2005, 02:09 PM
I went out this morning and fished above Watt Ave. with no luck. I was in the water just before 6 and fished for about 3 hours. I did have a couple hits early but that was it. I'll be going back out one night during the week and or next weekend again. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Jasonh
08-20-2005, 05:45 PM
I snorkled the river this moring and only managed to spot two half pounders in the 16-20" range. They seem to be more active in the evenings when there is some caddis activity. I would try uprivers further around sunrise. I spotted both fish about 100 yards down from the lower sunrise foot bridge in a small tailout. About 2 feet of water. I spookef them when i walked by.

Jason Hartwick

SteelieD
08-20-2005, 11:06 PM
I'll be fishing the Trinity river near Lewiston late next week. We'll be terrorizing the half pounders heading back to the fishery. This is where I learned to fly fish last year and I hope it is as exciting now as it was then. I'll have some pix and reports when I return. If anyone happens to be in that area (Lewiston Inn during the evenings and more than likely the "fly only" water on Friday and Saturday, 26/27th), be sure and look for us... we'll be the group "noobs" with huge grins, coolers of "refreshments" and more than likely when we return, several new steelhead/fly fishing addicts. =D> Funny how I feel compelled to expose my friends to the exhilaration of taking a fighting fish on a light rod!

Darian
08-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun 8) 8) . I know you'll enjoy yourself :lol: :lol: . Good luck 8) 8)

Jgoding
08-21-2005, 03:11 AM
Steelie,

I will be there as well I think. My parents own property up there now and we are going to hit the Fly waters labor day weekend. Maybe we'll see you out there!

Jeff

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2005, 09:45 AM
I like to fish the Trinity River for Steelhead in October before the water gets too cold. October through March can all be good though. Probably November is the best for numbers of fish and people.

I was exposed to the Trinity River for Steelhead in the '70s by Joe Shirshac who fished it sense 1952. Joe's favorite stretch is from just above Junction City downstream to around Big Bar. We fished with a floating line and #6 Silver Hilton, Brindle Bug and Governor.

The Governor was shown to be by Chuck Von Gelden who is gone now but was a great fly fisher who's parents had a cabin on the Trinity many years ago. The Governor I remember is a fat peacock herl body with a Golden Pheasant tippet tail, gold tinsel tag on rear, brown rooster hackle and turkey quill wings kind of like a Muddler Minnow. Top Trinity guide Herb Burton uses peacock herl bodied softhackles on the Trinity in many sizes for trout and steelhead. The "Brown Hackle Peacock" is an old famous pattern for trout and steelhead and still very popular. Actually today you could probably just throw on a #6/8 Prince Nymph which you could buy anywhere.

The Trinity River was not good for Steelhead in the '80s or early '90s after the big draught in the late '70s. It has come back now for the past 5 years or more.

If you get up there this Fall for a few days and hook even one Steelhead I would consider that a good trip for most. It is not about big numbers but the ability to actuall fly fish a beautiful Steelhead river 4 hours from Sacramento.

I would go with a good guide if you can like George Durand, Herb Burton, Andrew Harris or Gino Bernero. Wait till you hear that fish are in the river in October before you go.

Grub67
08-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Heard from some friends that are fishing the lower Klamath. Hooking into alot of steelhead threw out the day. They also said that there are some bigger than usual steelheads, around the 8-10# range. One of my friends caught an 8# hatchery steelhead. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Digger
08-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Grub-that's good to hear.
Is this the lower, lower like near Klamath Glen?

Rlynch
08-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Any half pounders in the American yet? I havent gone out since Satuday but was talking with someone today that was in one of the other fly shops in town and someone there had a count that showed only 2 steelhead per mile as of a week and a half ago.

Jasonh
08-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Rlynch, they are out there. You just have to put in the time this time of year. It might take you 5 or more trips to figure out where they are or what kind of water they are holding in. I would say there are probably more than 2 steelies per mile. They are going to be schooled up a little more this time of year in deeper water and fast pockets. I have heard from a few guys that fish all the time that they have been hooking fish from 16" up to 10 lbs. Come middle of spetember there should be more fish in the river and should be a little easier to locate. Good luck.

Jason Hartwick

jbird
08-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Mark and I stumbled across a wave of fresh fish last tuesday. Hooked 10 adult steelhead and landed them all. It was a fine day in the hot Oregon sun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/steelhead012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/PICT0009.jpg

Jasonh
08-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Nice report jbird. It sounds as if the rogue is starting to fish well. Keep us udpated.

Jason Hatwick

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Maybe we should move to southern Oregon?

Gary Anderson, Al Perryman, Gordon Langenbeck and other already have.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Actually it is faster to drive up Interstate 5 to the upper Rogue River than it is to lower or middle Klamath River.

I would like to fish the upper Rogue in September before it gets too cold and too crowded? October is usually the real big month though.

acrods
09-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Gregg Machel should remember this spot since it is where he hooked his first to steelhead on a spey rod.
Gary Anderson

Gregg Machel
09-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Ahhh, I do remember the spot, but I couldn't tell you where it was or how to get there. I can say it's a good spot, and I have some payback to get from those two that got away! :twisted: You guys set me up for success!