PDA

View Full Version : Isonychia mayflies

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2005, 12:06 AM
How many places have you heard of or seen the Isonychia mayflies?

We know they are big time on the Pit River most years. Mid-September is killer.

I heard they are on the Middle Fork of the Feather River down in the canyon in the Fall.

I have seen them on Battle Creek near the Coleman Fish Hatchery east of Red Bluff.

I saw some on the Trinity River once in the Fall near Junction City.

I guess they should be somewhere on the Klamath River?

http://www.troutnut.com/naturals/mayflies/isonychia/catskillisos_prev.jpg

ycflyfisher
08-20-2005, 07:15 AM
I've seen the nymphs on the NFF.

By my account, they're only abundant on the Trinity below the SF.

Tons on the Klamath below the Salmon.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2005, 08:46 AM
I guess that would be a good reason the Silver Hilton is so popular on the Klamath and Trinity Rivers?

Thanks YCFFer

OregonSalmon
08-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Kiene,
When I was a punk kid (as opposed to a punk adult), our family vacation was the Rogue at Agness. Halfpounders, huckleberries, and poison oak. I could have done without the poison oak.
There was a big mayfly that would hatch in the afternoon and I'm gonna go deep in my beer riddled mind and say they were iso's. Big bug, spotted wings. Lots of years ago so I'm not sure.

2short
08-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Iso's are a big deal on the Hiawassee river in late summer. They would bring up the big boys when they hatched good.
2short

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Where is the Hiawassee river ?

matt johnson
08-21-2005, 06:56 AM
Hey Bill,

I have also observed Isonychia's on Battle Creek below Coleman while working. They like to crawl out on the Chinook carcasses down there! This happens in mid-late October, which makes sense because of the low elevation, about 600'. I bet early October would be a great time to book a date on the Flyshop's private water above Coleman (about 1500'). That stretch of creek is loaded with trout. Matt.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Matt,

What's the name of their private water there on Battle Creek?

David Armocido says there is a big Iso hatch in the Fall on the Middle Fork of the Feather River down in the deep canyon.

2short
08-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Bill,
The Hiwassee is a tail-water in Tennessee (lots'a "E's"). You can read about it and other south eastern tail-waters in the May 2005 edition of Fly Fisherman.
2short

matt johnson
08-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Bill,

I think it is simply called Battle Creek Ranch?, but I may be wrong. It is in their catalog. I know that this is their least booked private venue. There is some strenuous hiking into the canyon on some beats, and the overall wading experience is kind of like the Pit, so it is best suited for the younger crowd. It is lightly booked for this reason. I have not fished it myself but have snorkled through the reach a number of times. Lots of 9-14 inch trout with a decent number of fish to 16". Some really cool wild country. Matt.