PDA

View Full Version : Three gerations of steelheaders now.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-18-2005, 08:55 AM
About 40 years ago I started fly fishing with Joe Shirshac, Walt Bennette, Joe Patterson, Neil Hansen and George Martin who introduced me to a lot of different fishing. These old fly fishiers where from the 'Great Generation' of my parents and got to see many of our rivers in better shape than we do now.

I fished more with Joe Shirshac who took me to the Dean, Umpqua, Trinity and Klamath Rivers. We also took others with use and they got bonded to these river as well.

We took Noe Fierros about 30 years ago which is a success story in its self. Noe loved it so much that he has gone every year sense. He goes about 3 time every year in the fall to the Klamath and has seen some wonderful days of fishing there.

Now with the come back of the Trinity and Klamath I see there is a third generation of "young guns" who are taking up the battle.

Matt Johnson has become a Steelhead wako too which is amazing.

I am excited to see younger people like Jason Hartwick and Adam Grace becoming Steelheaders too.

This is "real steelhead fly fishing" where you use mostly floating lines and swing flies in September and October while the water is warmer and the fish are very more active.

We fish for the grab.

To fly fish swinging flies you need to fish more early and late and in the Fall.

Young Doug Muraki Jr was introduced to the floating line type of fly fishing from his uncle Dave Muroki and famous Trinity River guide Herb Burton some years ago.

I am very excited that this classic way of steelhead fly fishing is alive and well. About 20 years ago I feared it would be lost forever with a big slump in the Steelheading in Nor Cal after the big draught of the late '70s.

September/October is almost here.

Rlynch
08-18-2005, 02:02 PM
I could use a few pointers! I've never gone for steelhead but am going to give it a shot this year. Any advice you have to offer will be much appreciated and thanks for this message board. I just recently stumbled across it and have spent many hours reading and searching out topics.

Jasonh
08-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Robert, my advice would be to take a guide out this fall. Fishing on the klamath should be good this september and the trintiy shold start to fish well in october. If you are interested in fishing floating lines and traditional flies there are no two better rivers in california for this. Not to mention that using traditional methods such as these will put you a little different water than those bobber fishing with an indicator. There is nothing better than the feeling of that "grab" when a steelie hits your fly on the swing!

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
08-18-2005, 11:39 PM
I STRONGLY agre with Jason :!:

The GRAB is addicting :twisted: