PDA

View Full Version : Barbless & Dropper

JPY
08-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Ok, after reading all your posts regarding the benefits to barbless hooks, I decided to pinched down my barbed hooks. However, I have a very simple question or concern. I usually tie a dropper to the bend of the hook. I don't worry about the dropper slipping off since the barb is there to stop the knot from sliding off the hook. Should I worry about that now? Should I use a different knot to tie to the bend? Is there other methods to tie a dropper?

Thanks.
John

flygolf
08-15-2005, 01:18 PM
I do that as well and have lost a few droppers because of it but not enough to really worry about it. I have switched to the trylene knot with that and really crank down on it and that has seemed to help. The trylene knot is basically a improved clinch knot but you go through the hole twice and leave a loop which you will bring the tag end through once you have done the wraps. Very strong knot.

Darian
08-15-2005, 01:20 PM
That's a good question.... 8) My personal preference is to connect the dropper above the point fly by loop to loop connection.... :D Not meaning to dismiss the method, but I've never used the one you describe. :roll:

Having said that, I believe the centrifical force from casting will keep the knot fixed to the bend of the hook. Likewise, the pull of a fish will tend to keep the knot tight to the bend.... 8) 8) Of course, you could always use some Zap-A-Gap or something similar to affix the knot before using it.... :wink:

Maybe another user of your method'll weigh in with a better answer.... In the meantime, I'll try it and see how I feel about it.... :? :?

By the way, thanks for bringing this up 8) 8)

MSP
08-15-2005, 02:46 PM
I have used that setup JPY and haven't had a problem with the knot sliding off the bend of the hook as long as the knot you use is nice and tight. I don't have a lot of experience with that setup because for some reason I just don't like it, and I can't explain why :? I just leave a 6" tag when tying in my tippet and when nymphing I have a nice knot for my split shot to slide down to instead of all the way to my upper fly. I usually don't fish a dry and dropper, again don't ask me why, I know it's killer, but I only fish one fly when using a dry and a two nymph setup when searching for the right pattern. If I ever figure out what they're eating I will go back to a one nymph setup and just cut off the tag. I'm just old and set in my ways :twisted:

Robert Francisco
08-15-2005, 05:06 PM
John,

Over the years I have asked several guides this same question as many of them fish two flies especially if they are prospecting. No good answer on how it works, but with a good knot the fly does not come off. My personal experience bears this out as well but I always feel more comfortable if I pinched the barb down rather than using a barbless hook. Seems like the small raised area has to help somewhat.

Robert

Bill Markwood
08-15-2005, 06:32 PM
I use a Duncan's loop to tie the dropper on to my barbless hooks and have never had a problem with the dropper fly slipping off.

Adam Grace
08-15-2005, 06:37 PM
I think a tight knot will have a much lower chance of coming off. Good casting should also keep the dropper connected, in theory.

Barbless is fine just tie a good knot.

JPY
08-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks. I guess only time will tell. If I lose a couple of flies, I'll go to the loop to loop, or try MSP's method. However, with the loop to loop, I seem to tangle a lot more when I roll cast.

MSP - Hopefully when I am as experience as you I will have the confidence to go to a one fly setup. For now, I need all the help I can get.

John

Wednesday Caster
08-15-2005, 08:32 PM
I recently went to a FF club meeting where a shop-hand and P-T guide using the same technique as MSP demonstrated an additional benefit of using the tag end (of tying on a tippet) to tie on a fly. The tied on fly swings about 45 degrees from the dropper line which he claims to avoid fouling the lines. 8)
|
|
+----* <(((>< ~ ~ ~ ~
|
|
|
* <(((>< ~ ~ ~

Quinn (starving graphic artist)

SteelieD
08-15-2005, 09:46 PM
I've never had a problem losing the bottom half of a double nymph rig because of the knot sliding off the hook, only breaking off because of a poor knot. It is, for me at least, more difficult to tie the knot on the hook bend. I think MSP's suggestion is excellent and sounds much easier. Great "graphic" interpretation of it Quinn!

JPY
08-16-2005, 12:29 AM
MSP & Wednesday Caster - What knots do you use to tie on the tippet. I use a surgeon knot because it is easy and fast to tie. However, the surgeon knot does not hang at an angle to effectively use for the upper fly.

Thanks,
John

Wednesday Caster
08-16-2005, 01:41 AM
Forgot a critical element that creates the "angle". :oops:

Tie a double surgeons with extra tippet tag end (but not wasteful). Using the tag end of the tippet, do a simple overhand knot around the down tippet line. The tag end should stick straight out giving some clearance from the down line. Tie flies (+/-) 4" on tag end. Now if I can only tie on my flies properly...

W (indicator)
|
|
| (X= Double Surgeon; @=overhand knot around tippet)
X
@____*<(((>< ~ ~ ~ ~
|
|
|
X
@____*<(((>< ~ ~ ~ ~
|
|
Q (Split Shot)

Not bad for 01:40 tired hour, eh?

This system should be (+/-) 1.5 the depth, often ticking the bottom as it travels. SET if indicator shows any "unnatural" movement ie. slows, quickens, directional changes.

I thought this guy was a genius, who was giving details of this nymphing system. This design here should result in less snag, target 2 different depths and more fish. His handout shows Sierra Pacific Fishing Adventures (310)749-6771. NOT Spam just giving credit where due.

I'm just glad I can share some knowledge since I've asked so much of so many of you. Thanks!
Quinn (Mr. CAD deficient) :wink:

MSP
08-16-2005, 06:50 AM
I try and keep things as simple as possible so I just use this knot when tying leaders and tippets. I only use 3 turns through the loop instead of 5. I use half of the knot with 5 turns to attach my leaders to the flyline.

:? Are we confused yet. I think I know what I'm saying :?

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/500/285unitouni.gif

I either use the heavier line or the lighter line for the tag depending on the conditions and flys being used.

JPY
08-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Great stuff. Thanks again.

John

MSP
08-16-2005, 12:39 PM
JPY - I don't only use one dry fly fly because of my experience, I only use one because I'm a subborn old fart that doesn't know any better. Some day I'm going to get the hang of all this stuff :roll: Probably not before I'm gone though. :cry: Good luck with whatever setup you decide on. Hell, try em all and see what works for you, this flyfishing stuff is a to-each-their-own kind of thing, if it works, don't fix it :!:

Wednesday Caster
08-16-2005, 03:03 PM
MSP/JPY: I prefer a single fly approach too. Can't barely manage but one as it is. I've only doubled up flies a couple of times (and only on the A) and found that all I was doing was trying to get un-stuck off an obstacle on the bottom or near bottom. :x But then I'm also a newbie and still have a couple more decade of experience to go through before I figure why the reel is at the end of the rod and not in the middle of the handle. :wink:

Eric Ryan
08-23-2005, 11:15 PM
I used to tie dropper to hopper hook, but now I am tying dropper to hopper eye. I use two improved clinch knots--one for each line.

Sincerely,
Eric Ryan
www.ryanrodco.com