PDA

View Full Version : Rod Building

Gregg Machel
08-14-2005, 11:48 PM
I recently had the opportunity to build my first fly rod, and was wondering if there are any rod builders on the board here. I don't recall reading any messages about this topic, but if you are out there, I'd be interested in some good websites on rod building, and where to get some good (but inexpensive) rod building equipment.

aaron
08-14-2005, 11:51 PM
I am almost finshed with my first rod. www.rodbuilding.org is a great resource.

Adam Grace
08-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Gregg, Bill has tons of rod building equipment and components.

Sorry, I don't know of any rod building website.

Have Bill introduce you to "BUFF"

Digger
08-15-2005, 10:47 AM
a little off the topic, but
I remember seeing this show, Gray's Sporting Journal, did a 1/2 hour on this guy who made these beautiful split cane rods out in Colorado I think. They breifly showed each step of the process, using Tonkin cane, which I guess most high quality rods are made from.
Very labor intensive process and it took something like 2 years from start to finish.

Nip Hadlock
08-15-2005, 10:54 AM
You can take a one week bamboo rod building course with the Dunsmuir Rod Co. in Dunsmuir. They've got the rod building shop set up and you leave after a week of rod building, (and fishing the upper Sac!), with a bamboo rod!
http://www.dunsmuirrodcompany.com/river.html

BigBuddha
08-15-2005, 01:18 PM
How did your rods turn out guys?

SteelieD
08-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Gregg,

You may have already found this one but, good but inexpensive rod building equipment... here you go:

http://www.hookhack.com/

I have heard good things about these guys in my looking around on the internet. I have plans to build myself a rod (or two!) once I get settled in my new place. A guys gotta find some way to placate the fishing jones during the long rainy winters! :cry: Proably only so much freezing wet steelheading this CA boy can handle. :wink: Like BigBuddha, I'd like to know how your rods turned out as well.

Barret
08-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Gregg,

Yeah, I sure am. I am a lurker here mostly, since I used to live up in Nevada City... Now down in Santa Barbara..But its a good b-board, so I keep reading, and get some hints for when I visit my folks up there.

I chimed in because I actually bought my first rod blank and kit at Kiene's about 8 years ago. Still use it too, down here in the surf.

I still build rods, and love it. A great hobby, and has potential to make you some pretty good gear. I have build about 6 rods or so, and my recent projects look as good or better than most factory rods. I like the freedom that you have being able to custom fit your choice of components to each rod, and have a little uniqueness to boot.

As was suggested, check out rodbuilding.org. for a lot of very good information and things to drool about. Good luck.

Barret

Gregg Machel
08-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Wow, thanks for the URLs! I knew you guys were out there.

The rod I built is a 6 wt. 10' Switch rod that can be used as a one handed rod, or a two handed rod. I originally started this out as a rod for myself, but then decided that this would make a great spey rod for my son (10 years old), and since I just got a really nice spey rod (Anderson Custom Rods), we can both go out and spey cast at the same time. At his age, the big spey rods are a bit much, so this switch rod is just perfect. I ground down the cork on the upper handle more than usual so that it would fit his hands better too. I'll get a picture up in a day or so.

Eric Ryan
08-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Gregg,

Watch out this can be very addictive. I started building cane rods about five years ago. I first started off with refinishing and restoration and worked my way through to rod maker. I had a lot of help from two Californian rod makers, and a lot of time spent in tooling and research. If you stick with graphite at first, you will probably have an easier time of it. I can help you with any and all aspects of rod building or rod making. I got so into it in fact, I eventually wrote a pattent on how to make a new type of graphite rod. Now that is all I do. No more bamboo for now. You are welcome to come over to my rod shop for info.

Sincerely,
Eric Ryan, Owner
Ryan Rod Co.
www.ryanrodco.com

Gregg Machel
08-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the offer Eric, I may take you up on that soon. I see your just next door to me too, I'm in Antelope. I checked out your site earlier when I saw your first messages pop up on the board here. Interesting, I'd like to actually cast one of your rods too.

Welcome to the board BTW! =D>

Hairstacker
08-26-2005, 02:08 AM
Barret, welcome aboard! Glad you decided to start posting. Rod building is something I've been interested in for some time and am looking forward to reading discussions on this topic.