PDA

View Full Version : Spey Fishing on the Rogue River

Gregg Machel
08-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Last week I fished the Rogue River with Gary Anderson and Steve (sorry, but can't recall the last name), with my new ACR Spey rod. Most of the day was spey training and catching a bunch of little steelhead, but then all of the sudden something hit my line hard while I was swinging and I got it as close as about 15 feet to see that this thing was a giant steelhead. Gary estimated at least 10 lbs. Well, unfortunately I wasn't able to land it because it got loose. I'll chalk that one up to lessons learned.
I continued to fish, and the very next cast, I must have got this fish's partner, which Gary and Steve saw, but I didn't see at all, and this one was even bigger. Very frustrating that I couldn't get these landed, but quite exciting that I even hooked them, especially having only fished with a spey rod for an hour or so before.

After this, I can call myself a convert to a spey rod. They were so easy to use for me compared to a traditional rod, and after hooking these two monsters, that sealed the deal.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Gregg,

You must have been doing something right?

Now you will be after Steelhead for the rest of your life.

Adam Grace
08-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Congratulations Gregg.

Welcome to the spey brothahood.

Gregg Machel
08-15-2005, 12:32 AM
Bill, I'm going to keep fishing until I can catch those two that I missed up there. They may have won the battle, but I'll win the war! Muhahahahaha :twisted:

rrivera
08-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Heya gcmachel - That was probably Steve Godshall (I think). Anderson & Steve have been working together on the Anderson series of rods to line them with the Beulah series lines.

I'm fishing with KK tommorow, and I'm taking my B-day gift (4wt 12' Anderson w/ a 6wt Beulah spey line) to see what lurks on the Y these days.

Great job on the feel of that silver hog that took ya. I had a similar experience on the A with the same result. My problem was equipment faliure. But I'm converted as well. Nice work..!

Gregg Machel
08-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Happy B-Day Ray! :) Thanks for pointing out Steve's last name, it was driving me crazy. Don't wear out KK, because I'm going with him on Wednesday. :) Good luck

Adam Grace
08-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Happy Birthday Ray!