PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Trout?

Adam Grace
08-14-2005, 10:40 PM
I like brown trout becaus of thier colorations.

SteelieD
08-14-2005, 10:45 PM
I had to go with Rainbow, simply because it's what I've caught the most of. But I sure would like to get into some of those beautiful fat browns I see so many pictures of!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-14-2005, 11:03 PM
I like Rainbows because they jump and run.

It is fun to catch all the different types though.

There use to be Grayling in Lobdell Lake southeast of Sacramento in the Sierras in Mono county.

http://www.hotspotfishing.com/records/records-California.asp?mcode=3838617492

http://www.fishsniffer.com/dbacher/101300grayling.html

Ed Wahl
08-15-2005, 06:17 AM
I gotta go with goldens because of where they live and their spectacular coloration.

Rick J
08-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Gotta go with a rainbow - most are spectacular fighters - as an example, a 15+ incher I hooked in Silver Creek two weeks ago took 10 yards of backing!! It must have thought it was a bone fish!

Nip Hadlock
08-15-2005, 08:26 AM
I'll cast a vote for the Brookies...at least the Eastern versions...back east the Rainbows don't fight as hard as they do here...but the Brookies will wear you out! And the coloration of a late season Brook is spectacular...
Having said all that, I would vote for the Rainbow if we limited the voting to Norcal.

OregonSalmon
08-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Myself and the woman were up at the North Fork of the Nehalem feesh hatchery the other day and a great idea was born: teach those hatchery fish how to spawn in the wild. It came to me (poor choice of words) while standing on a viewing platform overlooking the hatchery hole. About ten summer runs where lazing about, playin' a bit of grab ass, but not getting the job done. There the woman was, looking pretty damn sexy leaning over the guardrail when it dawned on me: the fish need coaching. No one was around, so I came up behind her in a pro-active stance if ya know what I mean...gets a bit blue and happy at this point.
Before anyone turns me in to the hatchery police, I did not have sex at the hatchery. Yes I did have impure thoughts but waited until off state property to act on them. Oh shoot...were we on state forest land?
It's good to be a pervert in the hills.

FHTFYR
08-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Nice job Oregonsalmon nothin like some wood in the WOODs :oops: bush in the BUSh :oops: on to the POLL :oops:

Due to a recent trip I have to go with the Cutts (small stream), Beautiful and aggressive. No huge runs or anything, but all of the colors. on the trip I was holding my rod :oops: under my arm (no, i'm not in the movies) fixing a tangle in a weed (no, I dont smoke either)and my line and fly were hanging about 8" off the water and they would jump out and try to grab it it was cool 8)

Digger
08-15-2005, 10:36 AM
my favorite is the one on the end of my line at that time (unless it's under 8 inches)
that being said I voted for the native cutthroat, and here's to hoping that someday the Paiute Cutt's well be saved.

Hairstacker
08-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Have to go with the rainbow for all the good times and the number of "first time" honors in my family. Outstanding fighting fish when wild, even the little wild ones go bonkers when hooked. . . .

Love browns for their elusive, secretive ways. . . .

Love 'em all for the way they look. . . .

Robert Francisco
08-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Difficult question Adam. I can eliminate lake trout as they do not readily take a fly in thin water and they do not possess a lot of heart. Beyond that:

Rainbows: I have caught some big ones, they can fight like hell and jump.
Goldens: The places you catch them are incredible and they can be stupid fun on dry flies. Pretty as hell also.
Brooks: Caught more of these than any other species of fish. The eastern Sierra is full of them and the childhood memories are hard to beat. They taste really good on an extended backpacking trip as well.
Browns: OK, that is my vote. Typically more difficult on dry fly than other species. Can get really big, and are very photogenic.

Robert

mems
08-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Aloha, good question. Browns are fun because the are tough and like to break you off. Bows jump and put up a good fight. Goldens, god do you have to hike for those guys, and they are pretty. Brookies are very beautiful and tough to fool out east. I picked cutts. They are native, they are almost too easy to catch because they are so aggressive, but they don't fool around, they attack flies. I like the variety. I caught lots of westslope and yellowstone cutts this summer. What I like most about them is they are endangered and they need our care as do most trout and the water they live in, but even more so because we introduced all the other types of trout and char. I like them because they were there first, and because they are unique. It is also cool to cruise around with that slash on your neck. Mems.

FoothillFlyFisher
08-16-2005, 09:13 AM
I'll go with the wild Rainbow. Nothing beats the high jumps and hard fight of a wild rainbow... :D