PDA

View Full Version : Mahi-mahi ceviche

mems
08-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Aloha, I got this idea from Tony. I have been reading about ceviche and chefs on other boards said it was good. I had some fresh mahi and looked up a recipe on the web. I chunked the mahi like small poke cubes. Thin sliced a maui onion, and marinated the fish with other spices in lemon juice for about 4 hours. Boy was that good stuff. Next time there is a poke contest I will make some and enter, I bet it will do well. cool how the lemon cooks the fish.
Today I went out to Honolii river mouth and got two papio and one moana kali, I kept one papio for breakfast. I looked for the persius meteor shower, but it was pretty cloudy. Have a good weekend, Mems.

Darian
08-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Hey Mems,..... Ceviche is the ultimate summer dish. 8) I prepare mine using lime juice. It gives a slightly different flavor to the dish and doesn't overpower the fish.... 8)

Give it a try.... :D :D :D

Moose
08-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Small chunks of Dorado (Mahi, same thing) with all of the red or brown meat discarded, some kosher salt and a little red pepper flakes, very thinly sliced serrano chile (just a little), thinly sliced sweet onion, sweet red pepper, a little shredded carrot (and some celery if you like it), a pinch of oregano and a liberal amount of fresh lime juice.

A cold bowl of ceviche, warm flour tortillas and cold Corona light. BUENO!!!

Darian
08-12-2005, 09:42 PM
MOOSE, MOOSE, MOOSE :!: :!: :!: You da man :!: :!: What a great sounding ceviche. I'll be trying that one soon. :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-12-2005, 11:34 PM
We love the food in the tropics like in the Mexican Yucatan, Belize and Christmas Island.

They have pretty good seafood on many salt water coast lines even the good old USA.

Tony Buzolich
08-13-2005, 06:50 AM
Okey guys, heres the ultimate recipe for ceviche to end all. I'm sure there are a lot of other good ones out there too but this one is worth trying even if you don't THINK you like fish.

Yah Moose, this would be good on warm tortillas too,
TONY

Loreto Ceviche

2 lbs. White fish filets (rock cod, sturgeon, halibut, dorado, striped bass)
1 large tomato, peeled and diced
1 med. Red onion, chopped
1 or 2 chiles (serrano or jalapeno) seeds removed and chopped fine
½ fresh pasallo pepper, seeded and chopped
½ cup green olives
1 tsp. dry oregano
Cilantro, chopped
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup orange juice
½ cup Clamato juice
½ cup V-8 Juice
6-10 limes

Cut fish into bite sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Place in bowl and cover with lime juice (enough to submerge fish) and about ½ cup of orange juice. Marinate for about 1½ to 2 hours. Stir occasionally.

Remove fish and strain out citrus juices. Combine with all other ingredients and refrigerate for at least one hour. It’s even better left overnight.

Serve in shrimp cocktail glass or over lettuce. Good with tortilla chips or saltine crackers.

Darian
08-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Hey Bill,.... Here's another indication of the need for a recipe forum.... :D :D :D