PDA

View Full Version : Plastic tube fly

Jasonh
08-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Here is my first attempt at tying a tube a on a plastic tubes. I have tied on brass tubes but dont like the way the swim in the water. I think the plastic will work better on the greased line. This is a soft hackle variant caddis pattern inspired by Adam Grace by has worked for me in the late summer/early fall on the American and Trinity rivers.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/longhorn4life/Flies/IDCTube.jpg

Jason Hartwick

Darian
08-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Interesting style of fly..... I never thought of using tubes for freshwater nymphs.... Is it for Steelhead :?: :?: How do you control the size/thickness of the body :?: :?: What fly size is involved :?: :?: May be wrong, but this doesn't lend itself to multiple fly casts does it :?: :?:

Jasonh
08-11-2005, 07:15 PM
The size of the body varies depending on the size of the tube or how big a dubbing loop i form. This is one of the smaller tubes, unsure of the size. I would say the fly is a #6-8. This fly seems to hold up very well and i use it on the swing. Was borred and figured i would mess around with the tubes a bit. I will give it a shot at on the American next week!

Jason Hartwick

Darian
08-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Hey Jason,.... Be sure to give us a report. 8) 8) I'm really curious about this. :? :?

Jasonh
08-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Doesnt sound like you have any confidence in my fly? I have landed a couple of fish on tube flies but they were your basic marabou and leech patterns.

Jason Hartwick

Darian
08-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Not a matter of confidence or lack of same.... 8) 8) I have no knowledge of this pattern or its use.... :) merely curiousity. If it works out for you, I might give it a try.... 8) 8)

Digger
08-13-2005, 08:57 AM
what's the deal with tube flies?
A little background anyone?

Adam Grace
08-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Digger, tube flies have been around for a while. They are much more popular with Northwest steelhead and salmon fishermen. Some saltwater fishermen also use tube flies.

You slide the tube onto your leader/tippet and tie the on a naked hook. The tube then slides down to the hook where it stops right at the hook.

There are some key aspects about fishing tube flies, I will list them.

The fly is tied on the tube to allow for hook replacement if the hook point gets dull or the hook straightens out Basically if you need a new or better hook you can easily change it out without having to tie another fly.

The tube can slide away from the hook when fighting a fish to decrease damage to the fly.

Some tubes are made from brass which helps them sink faster than a standard hook.

The hook is positioned at the rear of the fly which allow the hook to get the fish that nip at your fly instead of chomping the whole fly.

The tube flies are gaining some popularity here in California, mainly Nor Cal, but still not widely used. Tube flies are usually swung across the current like a traditional steelhead fly. In the Valley most fly fishermen are using the indo-nymphing system for which I have never heard a tube fly used for. It could be an effective large stonefly tactic I guess. Anyway tube flies are very speciallized and allow for another type of fly fishing.

David Lee
08-13-2005, 09:32 AM
Not to wander off the issue of tube flies here ......

Jason has , as usual , tyed one of the buggier flies that I've seen - tube or regular hook , that one will fish better than most .

I'd tye that one on in a heartbeat :!:

David

FHTFYR
08-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Would any of you like to part with directions or a tying list. Looks great I would love to tie-n-try some??

Darian
08-13-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm familiar with salt water applications of tube type flies but have never seen them used in Freshwater.... :? I understand that they're used on spey outfits in the northwest and northeast. 8) 8)

When I was still living in L.A., I used a "feather" rigged on a short (6") wire leader to cast for barracuda/bonito. These feathers were, in affect, a lead head with a hole for sliding the leader thru and were cast on light spinning outfits (....on the dark side :twisted: ). The feather body/wing onto a leader, was tied around the head. Very effective but haven't used one since that time.... 8) 8)

Adam Grace
08-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Jason said that he modified my original pattern, it' looks good.

The direction for my original pattern:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/speycaddisolive.jpg

Hook: TMC 3761 or 7999 #16-10
Tag: Fluorescent Floss chartreuse for the olive pattern
Body: Olive or Golden Brown Ice Dub dubbing
Flash back: Pearl tinsel - over the top of the ice dub body
Wire: Olive or Copper Brown Ultra Wire either brassie or medium size
Antenna: Two strands of crystal flash olive or brown
Collar: Grouse or Partirdge
Head: Peacock Black Ice Dub
Bead: Black sizes depend on the hook and body size, I like tungsten beads they keep the fly down while it swings in the current

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/speycaddistan.jpg

It looks like Jason didn't tie in the antenna. The fly is less flashy that way, although the ice dub adds a ton of flash by itself.

Have fun

Digger
08-13-2005, 03:55 PM
thanks Adam.

too bad there isn't a way to only lose a hook and still save the fly.
that would be way kooool!!!
why don't you guys work on that?
(Or would we put uncle Bill out of some business?)

Adam Grace
08-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Digger that would be cool :!:

Actually you coud tie a snap swivel after the tube fly, then attach the hook to the snap swivel. If the hook snagged something maybe the snap part would bend out and release the hook and still keep the tube on the end of the leader. :wink:

FHTFYR
08-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks Adam I'll be giving those a shot. Does Kienes carry the tubes?? if not where could I get them or make them?

Adam Grace
08-14-2005, 12:27 AM
Kiene's carries tubes (Aluminum, Brass and plastic) and the adapters for your vise that hold the tubes still enough to tie your fly.

The adapter IS neccessary!

Have fun.

Jay Murakoshi
08-14-2005, 08:16 AM
I tie up a variety of tube flies for both salt and fresh water. For fresh water, the flies are mainly for LMB and stripers and for the salt, it's almost for every species swimming. The main tube fly for the salt is designed for Sails. I tie up alot of sea habit tube flies.
Les Johnson has a book out for tying up tube flies. I use three different size of tubes which takes three different size tube holders. I make up my own tube holders by using stainless steel welding rods or a sardine rigging hook that is ground down with a taper. Make sure the taper fits the tube snug.

Jay

Bruce Slightom
08-20-2005, 08:17 AM
I have been tying skating flies on tubes for summer steelhead, the tubes that I use are from Q-Tips. I use small bait hooks (stinger hooks) and tie them on with a sergons loop. You can position the hook where you want because the knot will hold the hook in place, if you are getting short strikes move the hook back. Also the knot will retain the fly some of the time when you break off. One of the big advantages of tube flies is that you are able to use a much smaller hook for the size of the fly resulting in less damage to the fish. For example a winter fly like a popsicle on standard hook you would have a hook of 1/0 or so. With a tube you would have the same body size but have a #4 hook.

PaulC
08-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Here's a good article online on tube flies in general.
http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/bctubeflies/index.html