PDA

View Full Version : Micro Spey Clave the 21st of August

Adam Grace
08-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Guys lets shoot for the 21st.

That is the only day that I can even barely make it to Sacramento. The 21st sounds like a day that the majority of you guys can make it. My fishing buddy Gregg is getting married on the 20th. Both the 19th and 20th are out of the question for me. I could squeeze in a drive from the Fort Bragg area all the way to Sacramento for a half day but then I would need to drive back to Chico for my first day of school on the 22nd. It will be tight but I might be able to manage it.

Even if I cannot attend there are enough people interested, you should all meet up anyway. There are some good spey casters who will be there to lend some advice for the newbies.

I will try to make my schedule work for the 21st.

The 21st shall be the date!

All are welcome...

Please RSVP a reply to this post so that I can get a good idea of who all will be attending. I will later ask those who can come to bring some type of food so that we may fill our bellies with food to nourish us for more spey casting.

Rick J
08-11-2005, 12:02 PM
will sure try

rrivera
08-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Count me in.... Where exactly again... I'm good for a cooler filled with somthing...

Hope you can make it..

-R

rrivera
08-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Count me in.... Where exactly again... I'm good for a cooler filled with somthing...

Hope you can make it..

-R

aaron
08-12-2005, 03:50 PM
i should be able to make it

Adam Grace
08-13-2005, 03:28 PM
I doubt that I will get the 21st off. If so I hope you guys enjoy yourselves.

When I find out for sure I will let you guys know.

Rick J
08-14-2005, 01:45 PM
I am assuming this get together will happen at Watt. What time are folks planning on arriving - I need to do it kinda early as need to get back home beofore too late. Will be coming from Lake County - maybe 2 hour drive so should be able to arrive sometime around 9 assuming gas isn't up to over $3 by then :cry:

Gregg Machel
08-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge here but what exactly happens at a "Micro Spey Clave"?

Is this kind of an "everyone bring your spey rod and cast, meet some people, and eat/drink" event or is there more to it that I'm not seeing?

You can put me down for a probably since this is the day before I go back to work (after 2.5 months of vacation), and the day after military duty.

Adam Grace
08-15-2005, 12:00 AM
Gregg and others,
At spey claves people exchange spey knowledge, cast different rods, learn how to cast, cast different lines and eat some food while hanging out with other spey enthusiasts and beginners.

Basic and bunch of spey guys hanging out casting and talking about spey.

Good times.

I hope to make it but I have to wait and see.

rrivera
08-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Hey Rick... I'll be there early as well on the 21st. By the looks of it - I guess Watt under the bridge is the meeting place right...?

For those who never casted - I'll bring my back-up St Croix 14' 9/10 & one of my other Meiser rods.

I'll bring some Snacks from SAM's Club & some drinks. Don't really know who showing numbers wise. Hope the contribution will sustain the bull whipping that will go on that day... :wink:

Jasonh
08-15-2005, 05:24 PM
I should be able to get out there for a few hours. Let figure out what time. I will bring my 1287 Scott ARC and my new Anderson 1204 which is awesome by the way.

Jason Hartwick

Jasonh
08-16-2005, 04:48 PM
We need to get Bill Kiene out there on Sunday since he needs to work on his spey casting for his trip steelhead trip in october!

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
08-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Amen Brotha!

Mr. Kiene :?: ....Gonna come :?:

I might have that day off guys, I got a sneak peek at next weeks schedule, I have it off right now, but that can change.

I'll keep you guys informed.

Jeff Edwards
08-17-2005, 09:04 AM
I will try to make it on the 21st. I have a I have a club outting that I'm running on the Feather river for Salmon on the 20th. I might be able to swing by and join ya. :) I will also have 4 other Spey guys with me!

Jeff Edwards

Adam Grace
08-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Great Jeff, the more the merrier.

Rick J
08-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Think Bill may be leaving for Mexico!!

I plan to get out there around 9 or a bit later depending on when I can leave from Lake County. I will bring a Scott 1287, Scott 1509, Anderson 13'3'-7 and the Anderson 1204 with various lines.

Stevie J
08-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Is this shindig @ goethe or watt ave?
sj

Adam Grace
08-18-2005, 09:37 AM
If you guys want to BBQ it should be at Goethe Park, the park has a great shaded picnic area with built in BBQ grills. Watt is a little better suited for casting. We don't have to BBQ. We can all decide wheather or not to bring food for yourself. Watt is the best location in my opinion.

Who wants Watt?

Who wants Goethe?

rrivera
08-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Lets just do Watt Ave - I believe Goethe is more further to the water than Watt is.

I did forget to mention if you have those nice light fold up chairs bring them along. I'll place 2 or three so the swimmers and rafters won't take up much of the shore. Plus people could sit and take a break.

Gregg Machel
08-18-2005, 10:42 AM
My 2 cents worth ... I think Watt is the best option.

Stevie J
08-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Watt

Jasonh
08-18-2005, 09:52 PM
I have to agree with Watt as well.

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
08-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Watt Ave it is :!:

I have good news and bad news.

The good news: I have time off to attend this micro spey clave with you guys.

The bad news: I have to spend the day with you guys :P lol Just Kiddin :!:

I'm stoked that I have time to hang out and talk spey with you guys, maybe even get a chance to cast a few new rods like the new Anderson 4wt.

Yeeehaa!

See you there guys.

Now that Watt Avis the meeting place, early sound like it works for most people. 9am sound okay to you guys? We might have an early try for some HP's before the water's surface gets terrorized by multiple spey lines. We will also have some time before the Sacramento heat starts to fry our brains :roll: I'm up for most of the day. I have hardly thrown a spey rod since I have moved, I'll be out there for a while.

What time works for you guys 9am?

Post and let me know.

Gregg Machel
08-18-2005, 10:49 PM
9AM is good for me. I'll do everything I can to be there. I'll be bringing my new ACR 6 wt. Spey Rod.

Jasonh
08-18-2005, 10:55 PM
9 am works great for me. I might even get there a little earlier and try to find some of those half pounders. They are out there, they just are allergic to me!

Jason Hartwick

Gregg Machel
08-19-2005, 01:56 AM
I'm afraid I have the same alergies that you have. Perhaps they will find a cure for us soon! [-o<

Rlynch
08-19-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm pretty new to this board and have never spey casted but I may try and join you on Sunday. I'm going tomorrow morning to try for some Half Pounders, we'll see what happens.

aaron
08-20-2005, 04:35 PM
I dont think ill be able to make it. Hope you all have fun!

Jasonh
08-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Looking forward to getting out there tomarow and spey casting with ya'll! Should be a fun outing and hopefully we can hook up with a fish or two. Just trying to be optimisitc!

Jason Hartwick

Moose
08-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Hard to tell just how many will be showing up. I plan to come early and fish, then just sort of see how things go and hang out a little with whoever shows up. I'll be leaving about noon, but hope to meet a few of you guys. I'll bring my Meiser 12 1/2 foot 5 weight.

Jasonh
08-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Moose, that is my plan as well. I am going to fish early and then hang till noon or whenever. Should be fun.

Jason Hartwick

Gregg Machel
08-21-2005, 10:08 PM
It was nice to put faces to those who made it today. Special thanks to Adam for taking the time to school me in the art of spey casting, it was very helpful.

As I understand, a group of people are there most every Sat & Sun mornings working on their casting. After watching them cast, and talking to them for a bit, they are quite experienced too! I'll be making my way down there a lot more often now.

rrivera
08-22-2005, 12:59 PM
thanks to all who attended..!! It was a great time, and nice to put faces on those who contribute to the board.

I'll try to routine this practice of Sun spey casting. It was relaxing and therapeutic.

Rick J
08-22-2005, 01:33 PM
It was great to meet old friends and new ones an put a face to a name. On my way home at the highway 5/20 junction at Williams I saw a bunch of smoke to the west and wondered where the fire was - the closer to home I got the closer the fire got - it was a 1400 acre blaze just one ridge from my house!! It just topped the ridge and we could see flames shooting high but the bombers got th best of it and were able to knock it down - there were several homes in my subdivision that were evacuated as a precaution but no homes lost! Too close for comfort.

I am heading to the Klaath for three days next week - can't wait to hook up on the Anderson 1204! Will post on how it is on my return.

Adam Grace
08-22-2005, 08:38 PM
The mini spey clave was fun.

Most who attened the clave could already cast well. I was hoping to see more newbies to the sport but we still had a good turn out. I got a chance to meet some nice spey casters for the first time. I counted about ten people who came out to join in on the spey action.

Here are a couple of pictures from Sunday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP3115.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP3116.jpg

I had so much fun that I forgot to take more pictures.

I really enjoyed seeing my old spey friends again, even Jeff Putnam. :P

aaron
08-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Looks like a great time, wish i could have made it. :(

Wingman
08-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Adam,

Watching you and the other guys tossing those lines out a mile so effortlessly gives me hope and a goal to aim for. I was out there with Jeff Putnam as one of his Spey students Sunday. It looks easy, but I have a lot work to do before I will have it down. Jeff is a wonderful teacher! No matter how many times I kept blowing it he kept helping and encouraging me. He has provided me the basics of what I need to master (practice, practice, and practice more) to establish a sound base to build from. The big reward will be the "fish on" with spey gear.

I want to thank the unnamed Spey caster there who provided Jeff with some sodas and water that he passed along to us. It was nice not to be frustrated and thirsty at the same time! You know who you are, so thanks, I owe you a cold one!

Also, I could use a lighter spey rod to learn with. If any one has a starter/used rod that is just collecting dust because you have outgrown/replaced it I would be interested. Something in the 6 - 7 wt. range would be good. Watt Ave. access is close to home so I hope get out there regularly.

Thanks

Gregg Machel
08-23-2005, 01:29 PM
rrivera would be the unknown spey caster that provided you (and all of us) with drinks.

Thanks for that Ray, it was appreciated by all of us!

rrivera
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
It was my pleasure to be the "Spey Casters Hydrator" for the day. After all Wingman, we have been where you are. Feel free to aproach me or any of those you saw on Sun. Yes indeed - Practice is the key element in this Spey game..!!

We are more than willing to help in any shape or form. As far as rod selection for practice - Whew..!! That's a broad topic we all should disscuss at some point.

The one thing that only you can decide is the comfort speed of your casting stroke. This one factor in itself will determine the rod action you like, line for the rod, and speed of cast set up.

The one rod I had out there, a 7/8 13 ft Meiser. Was very difficult to line. Very powerfull rod but would lose power in the forward stroke w/ the 8-9-10 windcutter line. I went through 4 lines before I found the one that loaded and matched my casting style (8/9 Airflo long delta spey).

Just my 2 cent's Wingman - I would take advantage of the generous souls of Watt Ave during the weekend and cast as many rods so you can feel the one that is suited to you for your first real practice rod. Then after your comfortable with some of the casting strokes, then switch to different rods. You'll know then just by the action of the rod if you have to slow down or speed up the stroke for the same result.

I'll be there Sun again, and I'll bring a couple rods as well.

Best regards

-RR

Gregg Machel
08-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Wingman, You could also go into the Kiene's shop and check out some of the spey rods there. Maybe synch up with Jeff to do it when he's there too. They stock a variety of spey rods form the Anderson 4 wt. trout rod to just about as heavy as you would need.

From my own personal experience, I use a heavy rod too, and didn't realize what it was like to cast a lighter rod until last Sunday when I casted some of the other folks rods. I probably won't get a lighter rod until after this winter, but it's definately on my wish list.

Adam Grace
08-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks again for the drinks Ray. You're a good guy!

Wingman, start practiceing on the weekends at Watt. A bunch of guys like Larry, Simon, Doug and Ray practice quite a bit. I used to also go put there alot when I lived in Sac. I really enjoyed hanging out with the old group again.

My advice is get to know Larry, the short Asian man. Larry is a very nice guy and a hell of a spey caster. Larry owns more spey rods and lines than anyone. Ask him if you could try out some of his rods so that you could decide which one might be your better for your next rod.

I think a 12'6"-13'6" seven weight spey rod is great for our valley rivers.

My favoriite rod is a Scott ARC 12'8" 7wt, it's my baby.

Stevie J
08-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Ray, Thanks a million for the liquids...tasted better than bee...naw It didn't, but close. :)
sj

Wingman
08-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the advise. I appreciate the help.

Ray what do you like to drink? I will bring the cold ones Sunday. Just let me know what it should be and when you will be there?

My big 15' Orvis 11wt. is way too much rod for me right now. Jeff said that I would be much better off with something smaller and lighter to start out with.

Buying new is an option, but I think I'd rather pick up something used (less $$$) and then pass it on to the another beginner when I know what I am doing and have a better idea of what rod I will want to move on to.

rrivera
08-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Hey Wingman,

Thanks for the liquids offer... \:D/ Anything refreshing we'll do... :D

I'll be there at around 8 or 9 am - Bring that 11wt if you would like, I'll bring a 4wt, 6/7, and my 7/8. We'll have a go at all of them. All of them have different actions so you can feel the difference.

Should be a nice day... I plan to be there for a few, so if we need to take a break bring one of those fold up jobbies to sit on.

See ya there.... -RR

Wingman
08-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Ray,

Sounds great! I will have the ice chest with an asortment of cold ones. A chair is a good idea. See you Sunday.