PDA

View Full Version : Any reccomendations for Tuolumne Meadows?

Tracy Chimenti
08-11-2005, 12:04 AM
I'm headed up to Tuolomne Meadows with the family for the next 5-days. Anyone have a favorite hike-in lake they might reccomend?

Thanks, Tracy

DonCooksey
08-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Tracy:

A few years ago (~12?), I found a nice little lake with lots of golden trout just up from the Vogelsang campground that you can hike up to from Tuolomne Meadows. I had to scramble up a little waterfall area above a small shallow lake by the campground, as I recall. I did well with an emerger pattern to catch a bunch of fat little goldens around 10 inches that really fought hard. It was July, and the lake was still partially frozen over, with the fish concentrated at the outlet. It could be a pretty tough day hike up from Tuolomne, however. We stayed at Vogelsang overnight at the High Sierra Camp there, but I understand that they are closed this summer. They will apparently re-open next year. I highly recommend taking a few days some time to stay at each of the High Sierra Camps. You just have to hike between the camps with a light pack carrying your clothing, since bedding and all meals are supplied at the camps. I hiked every day with my fly rod set up and caught a lot of trout each day. The best were at Merced Lake, where I caught a number of 13-15 inchers from the shore, all on dry flies. Anyone had more recent experience up there?