PDA

View Full Version : mosquito repellent

JPY
08-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Couple of questions regarding mosquito repellent:

What's the most effective way to apply mosquito repellent?

Do you use aerosol, wet nap type or etc?

Do you wash off the repellent from your hands before touching the fly and flyline?

What brand is most effective?

Went fishing tonight and had to apply some mosquito repellent. I touched the fly after the application and noticed an oil type film near the fly as the fly hit the water. Does it matter or will it wear/wash off after it hits the water?

Thanks,
John

NorCalFlyGuy
08-10-2005, 07:02 AM
the new lemon eucalyptus based repellents work great for me and they are much safer than the chemicals found in Deet, so you can apply it more liberally (also doesn't stain clothes)

this is a good article about all types of repellents:

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/tm6607.asp

Hairstacker
08-10-2005, 08:04 AM
NorCalFlyGuy, thanks for the article reference. Lemon eucalyptus, eh? Wonder if this stuff is easier on fly lines? Also wonder if it's as effective as bear grease . . . . Probably smells better.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-10-2005, 08:11 AM
We use to recommend "Deep Woods Off" but now we like the 'Ultrathon' by 3M Company. They both have a DEET base but the Ultrathon was developed for the US Military and does stay on longer.

I like it in a spray so I don't have to get it the palms of my hands as DEET is not good for fly lines.

I like to cover up with clothing first.

Hairstacker
08-10-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm very curious about this topic. So is DEET the only problem between repellant and fly lines? If so, aside from bear grease, it sounds like this lemon eucalyptus stuff might be the way to go when fly fishing. . . .

Darian
08-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Hey Everyone,.... I'm a guy who doesn't like a lot of "stuff" on my skin. :? :? So, I like to treat/wear clothing as part of my regimen with Sawyer Clothing Insect Repellant (BUZZ OFF clothing is expensive and relatively short lived :( )....

The principal ingredient in this product is Permethrin and is not recommended for use on bare skin. However, I've been using it on long sleeve shirts/pants with some success.... 8) 8) This way, if I need to use some on my skin, I spray with a Lemon/Eucalyptus repellant (only if needed)..... :D :D

Jeff F.
08-10-2005, 09:49 AM
There is nothing better, IMHO. It's like 98% Deet. Comes in lotion, pump sparay, and liquid. And.....I actually like the smell of it because everytime I put it on I'm somewhere cool.......and if I use it in the backyard....it reminds of being somewhere cool! :D

The stuff works! Off/Cutter.......not even close.

Adam Grace
08-10-2005, 09:52 AM
When iam not wearing rancid bear grease I like the 3M Ultra-thon lotion and spray. The lotion lasts longer than the spray. However the spray is beter for your clothing than the lotion.

The ultra-thon does contain DEET but the formula has a slow release of the DEET and it it also formulated to reduce the amount of DEET absorbed into the skin. It works well for me. The small lotion contianer fits great in my vest's back pocket, I can't tell that it's there.

SullyTM
08-10-2005, 10:07 AM
SKEETERS :shock:

I suggest using only an organic repellant. Products with DEET are toxic. Check out http://journeytoforever.org Lemon Grass contains Citronella Oil which works...NorCals repellant sounds like a good bet. If you're in a boat maybe some insect incense coils might help?

Darian, I have some Buzz Off clothing(a birthday gift)...Yes, the clothing works but that effectivenss will wear off. I'll have to look into the Sawyer's 8)

...when I was a young-un growing up in Michigan skeeters were a Summer staple. I used to let them get a good toe-hold then I'd tighten up the vein and watch them get fat and happy...SLAP :twisted: Hey!, I was just a kid :roll:

Thom

NorCalFlyGuy
08-10-2005, 10:29 AM
this is what I use:

http://www.repel.com/ProductCategories/Insectrepellents/LemonEucalyptus/

I fished in one of the most mosquito infested places (a high Sierra meadow) a few weeks ago and left without a single bite despite swarms of the nasty skeeters all around me

of course, I did have on loose clothing (loose fishing shirt and pants)

give it a try....some of the best sportsmen in the Tahoe area turned me onto it (guys out every day as guides, etc) and they were right

Rick J
08-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Most reports I have read indicate nothing is as effective as deet - if you use spray it helps to spey the back of your hands then rub this onto places you want to apply rather than directly spreying face - this also keeps it off your hands.

On our recent trip to Silver Creek, Don had a tube of lotion in his float tube poecket that busted and got all over - it actually kinda melted his plastic fly boxes so this does give one pause about applying it to your skin????? Definitely try to keep it off fly lines!

Digger
08-10-2005, 01:32 PM
You can make your own 'buzz off' clothing easily.
Take your favorite repellent (provided it's not harmful to the material), and a very large zip lock baggie.
Spray the inside of the bag and put your shirt or pants in it and close it up.
Leave it overnight and voila!

Jay Murakoshi
08-10-2005, 01:48 PM
I've have been using a repellant (when needed) called Bushman.
It's definitly a repellant that keeps the bugs away. I used it in Honduras last year to keep the yellow flies and black flies from sucking a pint of blood every time they landed. Once applied, they don't even come close to you. I have used it when shad fishing. Most of you know, when that sun goes down, the skeeters come out.
This product also has a UV protection.

I usually bring back 6 tubes of Bushman when I make the trip to Australia.
Anyone interested in trying the Bushman, let me know and I will bring you back a tube.

Jay

chemdoc
08-10-2005, 05:22 PM
I found a press release from the Centers for Disease Control which discusses lemon eucalyptus oil. They do recommend it as an effective repellent, along with DEET and picaridin. The url is http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/r050428.htm

JPY
08-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks for providing alternatives to Deet. The links provided suggest that most products containing picaridin or lemon E. oil is odorless, not oily and will not harm plastic or synthetic materials. Is that true?? I prefer not to trust the manufacturer and rather rely on personal experience.

Thanks again,
John

Darian
08-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Hey guys,.... whatever happened to burning an old tire and sitting in the smoke trail..... :?: :?: :?: :twisted: :twisted: Why, in the olden days, a good cat fisherman could stay out all night and not get bit sittin' in that plume.... :roll: :roll: (....ya might have to keep the local firefighters from puttin' out your tire, tho :? )

Of course you couldn't go home for several days afterwards and all of the old time cat fisherman have black lung disease now but that's just a minor inconvenience for catchin' the biggun's..... :shock: :lol: :lol: :P :P

MSP
08-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Who needs mosquito repellant. I just go outside around 10:00 pm when the mosquito planes fly over the house and let the spray shower my whole body in one application. :lol: Seems to be working! :shock: