PDA

View Full Version : New to message board: an introduction

Robert Francisco
08-09-2005, 06:30 PM
I am new to this board and thought I would provide a brief introduction. I have been fly fishing for about 12 years and have been fortunate enough to have some great instruction from current and past employees of Kienes including Mike Sarcizian, Alan Barnard, Paul Johnson, Matt Johnson and Andy. When I was working, and thus could afford new gear, Marilyn joked that I paid for one of the shops expansions.

We currently live in Sacramento but are going to be building a home in Mt. Shasta and will move up north next year. My wife thinks I am basically a motorcycle and trout bum now that I retired from my land use consulting career and she is 100% correct.

I recently returned from a western states motorcycle ride with my dad that covered six states and 4500 miles. During a week layover in Montana we fished the Missouri river with good results. Going to Alaska next week and will have a few days to fish the Kenai for rainbows and silvers.

Decent caster, pretty fair fisherman and terrible fly tier.

Robert

MSP
08-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Welcome aboard Robert. We will be looking forward to your contributions and definately your reports from places a far and near. I didn't realize those were your Browns in the photo section. Very nice pitures and very nice fish!

rrivera
08-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Welcome Robert...

Looking forward to the posts on the Kenai.. :D

Have a wonderful and safe trip...

Rob
08-09-2005, 08:12 PM
WELCOME !!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

PaulC
08-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey Robert,
I'm leaving out there in a couple of days and will be out there for 10 days. If you see a guy with a cal trout hat, its probably me. Should be good out there...lots of water to cover. Bear pressure looks a bit up this year on the russian. Quartz creek is also worth checking out for trout and dollys. Dunno how mobile you are. You fishing guided out there with mystic rivers or another outfit or just going solo?

Saw your other post on reels, and I have a couple galvan reels and love em. The torque line is great in the salt or fresh and takes a real beating with large fish. I've fished mine a few times a week for a year now and no problems as of yet.
-Paul

Robert Francisco
08-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Paul,

We are doing a one day float with an outfitter but I do not know the details as a friend set it up. I do know we are with a guide named Dusty Byrd, and heard she has a good reputation. Also understand that it is a ~20ft drift boat....that should be interesting.

Then we are mobile for a few days. The wives are going to Seward and Hommer and we are going to fish a few days. Thanks for the tip.

We are also flying into a forest service cabin for a few days with some opportunity for some still water rainbow fishing via a row boat.

First trip to Alaska...really looking forward to it.

Robert

Adam Grace
08-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Welcome aboard Robert.

Good to see you on the board.

Sounds like you retired?

Did Alan Barnard run you out of Jones and Stokes? :D

I hope you enjoy the Shasta Area, too bad there's nothing to fish up there :roll:

Robert Francisco
08-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Hey Adam.....Chico?

Guys like Barnard kept me sane, but it did suck when he quit fly fishing. I still see him quite a bit as he has helped me produce some great graphics for a conservation non-profit that I do some volunteer work for.

Robert

Hairstacker
08-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Robert, welcome aboard! Looking forward to your Shasta-area fising pictures. Good luck on the new home, you must be pretty excited. 8)