PDA

View Full Version : Ross Gunnison equivalent/alternative?

Robert Francisco
08-09-2005, 03:36 PM
I am in the market for a new reel. What I am looking for is a largely bullet proof low maintenance reel in the 5,6wt range, that is a good performer for a reasonable price. If Ross still made the Gunnison that is certainly what I would get. Jeff P. suggested that the Galvin might fit the bill. Other opinions?

Robert Francisco
Shastamountain@gmail.com

SteelieD
08-09-2005, 07:39 PM
I have a couple of Ross'. I love 'em! But, if I were in the market for a reel (which I probably will be when those big fat salmon start hitting the rivers!) I would look very hard at the Galvan line. A "Standard" or "Rush" are in your range. They are very nice reels. Never heard a bad thing about them. Have fun shopping!

Robert Francisco
08-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Thank you for the help. I looked at the new Ross models and they do not "seem" as tough as the old Gunnison. The Galvins looked good but I have no personal experience with them being that I have not purchased a reel in quite some time. However, the endorsements seem to be growing.

Robert

David Lee
08-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi Robert .

TETON - They are sturdy , they look nice , they have bomb-proof drags , they don't break the bank (look on Ebay for the new ones ...) , and they do the job . My 7LA is my workhorse reel ..... NEVER a problem w/ that one , AT ALL . Half-pounders , to Leopard Sharks - it's my go-to reel .

There are so many good reels on the market these days , it's hard to go wrong with just about ANY choice !!

Good luck w/ your search !!

David

Adam Grace
08-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Robert, the Torque or Rush are great reels but a little on the heavy side. The Ross Evolution and Rhythm are nice and light weight. They are more durable than they look. I own an Evolution and I love it. The drag presets are more tailored for trout, a quarter turn does not stop the spool or create too much tension for trout. The drag presets are the coolest part of the Ross trout reels, better than the old Gunnisons. The Ross light weight aspect is also nice.

Galvan and Ross make very nice reels as do Teton.

My choice would be the Ross Evolution #2, great for a 5wt and a 6wt.

If you fish a long bellied 6wt line or require a more than average amount of backing with the 6wt I suggest the #3.

My 2 cents.