PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Lassen State Park

Adam Grace
08-07-2005, 09:57 AM
I am closer to Lassen than ever before.

I never wanted to drive to lassen from Sacramento, I don't like long car rides.

Now that I am much closer I want to fish Lassen.

Do any of you guys have any recomendations?

aaron
08-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey Adam i just came through there today on the way back from a short fishing trip. Hat creek just outside the park was fishing very well for wild rainbows. Very colorfull but on the small side. There are some big browns and brooks in there as well. Baum lake (also outside the park) had fish rising all over but i didnt have a chance to fish it. Inside the park Manzanita is probably your best bet for some nice fish. Don't forget your camera because the park is very beutiful right now. If u would like more specifics on flies and locations etc. let me know.

Alastair
08-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Hi Adam, I don't know if this will do you any good or not but I just got back from Mt. Lassen. I didn't fish but I drove through from the North entrance to the South entrance and hiked the Bumpass Hell Trail. I put up some pics here:
http://mtshasta.saxlessons.com
It is a very beautiful area. I was told by a ranger that the fishing in Manzanita Lake is pretty good. HTH.

Rick J
08-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Hi Adam,
Besides the places listed there is also McCumber which is west of Lassen, not far past Shingle Town. There are also a couple of small PG&E lakes right at Shingle Town - turn right - have not been there in years so don't know too much about them.

Get some USGS quad maps or get the California Quad map book and take a look

Robert Francisco
08-17-2005, 07:27 AM
Adam,

I used to fish McCumber quite a bit and plan to do so again when I move up north. It seems to fish best in late fall and my best days were when I broke ice at the waters edge. The water gets real warm this time of the year and the fish seem to get lock jaw.

In the fall, some nice browns would usually be working on midges in the morning provided the wind was not blowing. A Chan's frostbite fished on a tight line just under the surface worked very well. After any surface action, I would fish an intermediate line with a soft hackle or other small nymph patern. Streamers also worked.

Likely fishing good early in the season as well.

Robert

Bruce Slightom
08-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Adam, just got back from a weeks stay at Lake Almanor, I did not get to fish much but I checked out a few small laked on the east side of the park, Echo and Silver I could drive to but there are several that are short walks into that are in the Caribou Willderness area. Can wait to go back and check these out.