PDA

View Full Version : Well, I did it...

Alastair
08-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Yep, I took Bill's advice and went to Western Sport Shop in Santa Rosa, Ca. I tried out a Sage Launch 9ft, 5wt, 4 pc and lo and behold, I could tell the difference! What a nice rod! So, of course, I bought it. I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Shasta County. Four days in a cabin on Lake Siskiyou where I will be real close to the McCloud River. I can't wait! Are we there yet?
P.S. Bill, Carlo says hi back.

Darian
08-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Hey Alastair,..... Good for you. 8) 8) Don't forget the Smallies in Lake Siskiyou while you're up there.... 8) 8) 8)

Good luck :D :D

Hairstacker
08-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Alastair, congratulations on the new rod! I've heard very nice comments about that rod model and it's cool to hear the pleasure in your voice. I think you're going to have a lot of good times with that one. 8)

Alastair
08-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Darian, I have never fly fished for small mouth. Can you give me some ideas on flies and presentation? The cabin is going to be right next to the water on a cove, sort of. I can imagine that catching a smallie on a fly rod would be real fun. I think, pound for pound, one of the scrappiest fish out there. Are we there yet? :D

Darian
08-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Hey Alastair,.... There's not a lot of difference between fishin' for Trout or Bass in Lake Siskiyou. 8) Use the same tactics and some of the same flies. Try an olive beadhead wooly bugger, maybe a flashy streamer pattern or Dragon or Damsel Fly nymph. 8) 8)

If you have access to a boat or some flotation device, You can either troll or cast a fly up there.... 8) It's slightly more difficult from shore.... :? Keep your eyes open for fish in the clear water. :wink:

If there's a fishing or fly shop in the town of Mount Shasta, check with them for local info....

Good luck.... :D :D :D

Hairstacker
08-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Alastair, I can't speak for Darian but I know what I would try. First, I'd load up with a size 2 chartreuse and white Clouser about 3 - 4" long with a little bit of flash built in (pearl flashabou and silver Krystal Flash is my preference). I would then look for rocks: rocky points, rocky landslides extending into the water, boulder fields and rocky bottoms in the shallows, etc. If I can find rocks next to cover like logs all the better. I would then toss the Clouser out, let it sink to the bottom, and then strip it in with 4 - 6" strips. That's what I would do but would love to hear the opinions of others as well. . . .

Hairstacker
08-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Darian, oops, didn't realize you were posting at the same time. :oops:

Alastair
08-06-2005, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the tips you guys. I have an inflatable kayak that is lot's of fun. I will try it out for smallie fishing on the lake. On Ted Fay's site, they are saying that smallie action on Lake Siskiyou is real good right now, using poppers. I will be sure to stop by Ted Fay's shop and get some of the poppers that are working on the lake. Thanks again, I'll let y'all know how the trip was when I get back.
I'm not going to sleep well tonight. (insert "Lurch" sound here.)
That sound he would make whenever the door bell would ring. :-)
Someone needs to work on a "Lurch noise" emoticon.

BigBuddha
08-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Alastair, if you're going to be at Lake Siskiyou try fishing the Upper Sac at Cantara Loop. Size 14 Elk Hair Caddis will do it and you will have a ton of fun. Also on the East Side of the Lake you will see where the Sac feeds into Lake Siskiyou. Fishing is usually very good there and upstream from there. Congratulations on your new rod, now have some fun!