PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon in Ambergris Caye, Belize

rasbrown
08-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Bill,

Just returned from 10 days on Ambergris Caye and the "prime time tarpon fishing" when the big migratory tarpon are in the area. Well, I can tell you the big ones are there, I saw two 5'+ tarpon, but unfortunately I was scuba diving and they were in about 25' of water in a nature preserve/park - just holding in the current letting the bait fish wash into them.

However, I did fish two days while there. Nesto was a bust...I started calling him a couple days before we were scheduled to fish and he never materialized. So, I walked down the beach about 300 yards from our resort to El Pescador and booked a guide for the next day (Andy should be proud to know the picture of him in the water craddling that tarpon hangs on their wall of fame, the same picture that is blown up in your shop.)

So I showed up at El Pescador on the appointed morning promptly at 6:45am all rigged and ready to go, thanks to Putnam. Luis my guide, who is in early to mid 20s, showed up about 7:30am, looked over my gear and set-up, and agreed that it was appropriate. We hit he water at about 7:45-8am to go fish.

I told Luis I wanted a shot at a tarpon, just to hook one, I didn't have to land it, I just wanted to see what it was like to hook a big powerful tarpon, and I didn't really care to catch a bonefish. He was agreeable to that so we headed out to a tarpon flat between Deer and Bird Caye on the West side of Ambergris and floated through it a couple times and didn't see a single tarpon - nothing rolling or jumping. So at this point Luis wanted to go bonefish and permit fish so we could land some fish and we were back at El Pescador by 3:15 that afternoon.

While talking to Luis during the day of fishing I found out Luis is Nesto's cousin, the guide that never materialized, and he told me Nesto was up in Mexico at another cousin's wedding and wasn't coming back to San Pedro for a couple couple days - but enough whinning.

Now, I have to admit the conditions were tough - very windy, overcast, and outgoing to low tides. So we went and caught bonefish, saw one permit, but I was pretty discouraged about not seeing any tarpon and thought I would just dive and hang out with the wife and kids for the rest of the trip.

Well, that lasted a couple days and I had the itch to tarpon fish again, so I decided to track down the other recommended guide from Ruby's Hotel, Lindo. I found Lindo on the back bay and we talked about the tarpon fishing. We agreed to fish a couple days later and that he'd pick me up at my resort at 7am.

Once the day arrived, Lindo, who is in his early 50s, was there at 6:45am ready and rarin' to go, so we were off to check a deep cut at the South end of Ambergris for rolling tarpon and then some flats to the Southwest of island. Lindo and I had the same conversation I had with Luis - I just want to tarpon fish, just wanted to try to hook one, don't care about catching bones.

Saw nothing rolling in the cut so off to the flats we went. Again, tough conditions - windy, overcast, and outgoing to low tides. Hit the first flat and no rolling or jumping tarpon to be found, but Lindo poled that panga (he has a poling platform on the back) all over that flat. We saw some fish, but almost all were sitting on top of the turtle grass and weren't on the move. It was tough to see them until you were right on top of them because the light conditions were so bad. No rolling or jumping tarpon all day.

We saw a lot of 3-4' tarpon, probably upwards of 20 fish, but only a few casts off to one fish. Should've had a shot at another fish, but this rookie tarpon fisherman had his fly fowled in the line.

Lindo worked hard all day long...he was on a personal mission to get me a tarpon that day. After we, or should I say he, worked a flat hard - poling, looking, constantly scanning for fish, then we were on the move to another flat to find fish. We worked so many flats, we were close enough to make a quick run over to the mainland to check the surfline where they sometime roll.

Lindo had me back at the resort about 4:30 that afternoon. He was a little dejected that we didn't get a tarpon, but I was pleased just to see some, and get a cast off to one. I'll defintley be back when the tide and weather is better, and just as a fishing trip.

I enjoyed San Pedro a lot - there are very reasonbale accommodations, food and prices for guides.

Thanks to Bill and Jeff for helping me out with flies and the set-up.

Randy

[/img]

Tony Buzolich
08-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Randy,
Sounds like you gave it a good try for those tarpon but sometimes when you target only one thing, stuff happens.

I was curious about the diving and seeing tarpon in the deeper water. You mentioned about " letting the baitfish wash to them".
Were these tarpon just holding against a current and feeding as bait drifted to them?

The reason I ask is I'll be in Isla Holbox next week and fishing tarpon in deep water. I've fished the Keys and Belize for years for them but always shallow water.

Do you think a baitfish pattern might be more effective for these deep water guys rather than the traditional "tarpon fly" type patterns?

If they're feeding on baitfish, why not give them a baitfish fly? Something like a Sar-Mul-Mac or a Sardina pattern.

I don't think I've ever talked to anyone who has done this. It's always some Black Death or Cockroach pattern.

Belize IS great,
TONY

rasbrown
08-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Tony,

They were facing the current and swimming hard enough to just stay stationary over the sandy bottom of a coral canyon that is an opening in the reef. I never saw them move to any baitfish and just assumed they were allowing baitfish to wash into their feeding pattern, maybe a misguided assumption on my part.

Randy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Great reoprt Randy.

You will have to go next summer to Tarpon Cay Lodge or Campeche with us. There are lots of baby tarpon there that are 5 to 35 pounds and I know you will be sucessful there in 5 days of "commando fishing".

Hairstacker
08-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Randy, VERY nice report, thanks for taking the time. Reports like yours make me feel like I'm out on the water even though I'm just sitting in front of the computer. 8)

john
08-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Randy: What 10 days were you on Ambergris, and what days were you scheduled to fish? I was down from 7/15-8/2(except for a couple of days dodging Emily). john higley

rasbrown
08-05-2005, 11:15 PM
John,

We were at Captain Morgan's Retreat, north of San Pedro, from 7/22 through 7/31. I fished on the 26th and the 29th. Did you fish while you were there? If so, catch any tarpon? I hear there is a tarpon fishery were you fish a deep channel over towards Belize City, and have to leave Ambergris at 4am. You cast to rolling tarpon with intermediate lines. It is supposedly a short day of fishing from about 5:30 to 8am, but a lot of big fish rolling on the surface.

Randy

john
08-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Andy: It was an unfortunate july to be on AC. The larger tarpon never really showed, nor did the numbers that I've come to expect in July/August. Some talk about the hurricane, and i'm sure that didn't help, but it really sounded like the fish were there in june. Fished tarpon 4 days and landed 4, but felt really fortunate. The wind was nuts(comparatively), it was nne and ene from 7/15 to 7/30, and the cloud cover was irritating. Finally a couple of great days 7/31 and 8/1. Of course it was a fine day again when I left. The guys that were fishing Belize city and st. george's weren't doing very well either. Couple of 60#ers was really all they had to show. After seeing Bill's e-mail with the Tarpon Caye report we'd be fools not to get that toward/at the top of all our lists. Curious- how were you booking Nesto? not through Capt. Morgan's I hope.

rasbrown
08-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Nope, booked Nesto directly about two months before we left for Ambergris. Found out the hard way that the daily rate at El Pescador was a lot more $$$ than fishing with Lindo or Nesto.