PDA

View Full Version : tying in silver hilton wings

Jasonh
08-04-2005, 02:50 PM
I am curious how any of you tie in your silver hilton wings to get them so that they dont stick up and are too upright. A lot of the commercially tied patterns seem to have the wings that cure down and out. Some times they do this and other times they are too upright. Any ideas?

Jason Hartwick

MSP
08-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey Jason, I have benn using 4 hackles when tying in the wings. I'm not sure it really matters if you use 2 or 4. I even up a pair with the shiny side out and tie them in, then do the same for the other side basically tying them right on top the shank. I then wrap back towards the chanille until secure. If you secure them too close to the channile they have tendancy to stand too upriight so I keep the wraps just in front of the channile. Then cover up the wraps with the coller and that's it. I don't really think it matters how the wings look after finishing the fly as when fishing them the current will lay them back over the body. Remember you're not trying to sell these things to fishermen just the fish. As you know my flys aren't very pretty but seem to catch a fish now and then :shock: I don't think I like tying all that much I just do it cause I'm a cheapskate.

Jasonh
08-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks Mike. I got it figured out. Just need to strip some of the hackle when tying them in. Thanks. I have a few i want to send to you to try on the trinity when you get up there. Just different color variations that i have heard work well in spet/oct on the lower river.

Jason Hartwick

MSP
08-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Oh yea I forgot to say that I do strip off the hackles where I tie them in. Better get those babies here soon. We'll have to meet up when you get here so I can try them out for ya. You get here on the 13th right?

Tony Buzolich
08-04-2005, 07:40 PM
I can't remember which one of you guys tied a beautiful Silver Hilton for the Steelhead Fly Swap but I was quite impressed. Almost to the point of not wanting to use it.

So fess up, "Who Tied It?" I was a couple of months ago and I can't seem to find the right swap chatter.

TONY

MSP
08-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey Tony it couldn't have been one of mine, so I checked my swap box and found it to be Darian that tied that beauty. I'm not sure it looks any better than the Coal Car sitting next to it though :D I can't get myself to use any of the flys I have recieved in the swaps I participated in but it sure makes it easy to try and copy them with one in hand :shock: .

PaulC
08-04-2005, 09:04 PM
http://www.kiene.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=548&start=90
Darian was definitely the tier. Nice tie.
I'm having a hard time using the patterns myself except for a reference.
Steelhead season could change things with that...man..that pattern looks too good and i'm out of my copies, I have to fish it type of mojo.
Might give some of the saltwater patterns (or copies of) a test drive on sunday offshore.
Will let you know how it goes.
-Paul

Darian
08-04-2005, 10:38 PM
OK Guys,.... I'll give you an alternative way of tying in the wings.... 8)

After tying in the tail material, advance the thread to the shoulder area of the hook and tie in a couple of prepared hackle points, concave side out (not sure it matters which side is facing out :( ). The hackle points are tied in by the butts, over the eye of the hook. Finish the tie, including the hackle. 8)

At that time, bring the hackle points back over the shank divided by your index finger to splay them and tie 'em down. This locks the wings in place. Glue the head and you're ready to fish.... 8)

This method allows you to give the wings any angle you want. 8) I prefer them to be a bit high as I think this might provide a semblance of action in the current (in between strips). :D :D :D

Bruce Slightom
08-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Darian, interesting method. The way I tie them is to have the thread in position, have the wing tips even with the curved side of the wing towards each other, measure the wings to the fly. I think that it is important not to have the tips past the hook bend as they will get caught. Position the wings on the hook shank with your fore finger and thumb, take a loose wrap of thread between the hook and your finger then over the top and then between your index finger and the hook on the far side. Being sure to keep the thread loose, bring the thread up on the side toward you again, between your thumb and the hook. Now pull strainght up to tighted. Take two wraps and release with your fingers. When I strip the stems I leave them long, at this point I fold them back towards the bend, locking them in. Then wind on the hackle,

Darian
08-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Hi Bruce,.... Yours is more of a traditional method than mine. 8) Both are good, tho. 8) 8) I began tying the wings the way that you do but found a need to tie them the way I do when I started using the pattern in Sierra lakes/streams.... I've tied the Silver Hilton in sizes down to #10 for use up there and dry or wet.... My method gives me the opportunity to change the angle of the wings, easily. 8) It's been a productive pattern for me. :D :D

The variation I tied for the swap included a grizzly hackle palmered over the body and then ribbed. My wing method was easier for me to use in that variation.... Also, I've seen a variation, you may have also seen it, tied by the late Michael Fong that had bead chain eyes incorporated in it.... :D :D :D

Bruce Slightom
08-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Darian, interesting, I will have to try your way. I tye for steelhead, but the palmered verision sounds intresting, have been tying brindle bugs like that for years. The chain eyes I had never heard of before, but the first bead head fly I ever tyed was a silver bead head Hilton. In the book "Spey and Dee Flies" by John Shewey there is a spey version of a Hilton. Thanks for the info, Bruce