PDA

View Full Version : Information on Lyons Creek?

chemdoc
08-03-2005, 10:23 AM
I was wondering anyone fishes Lyons Creek north of highway 50? Someone suggested it to me and I see a road leading there from highway 50, but was wondering how the fishing is there this time of year before heading up. Thanks.

Darian
08-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Is This creek one of the feeder streams to Wright's Lake :?: :?: If so, it runs thru some forested, mountainous terrain until it approaches the lake where it becomes a meadow stream (complete with billions of skeeters :shock: :shock: ). Not a large stream. Does have some nice Rainbows in it. 8) 8)

Gets pretty well beat up by all the people who visit that area all summer long. :( :( If it's the stream I think it is, the water was so clear that it always looked like the Trout were suspended in mid-air.... Wright's Lake used to have some very good Trout in it. 8) 8) Can't say how it is now, tho. :roll:

chemdoc
08-03-2005, 02:37 PM
According to my topo map, the creek flowing out of Wrights Lake is Silver Creek, one of at least three with the same name I have found in the Sierras. Lyons Creek is a few miles south of that and joins Silver Creek to flow into Ice House Reservoir

Darian
08-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Yep,.... Your map is correct. 8) 8) The creek is, esssentially, the same type as the feeder creek to Wright's lake, tho. The description of the surrounding countryside is the same. The road from Hwy 50 rises a bunch in altitude immediately after making the turnoff (Given the traffic on Hwy 50 these days, it's a dangerous turnoff). Then, the road crosses a high plateau type area. It stays relatively level until it reaches Wright's Lake.

The part that crosses the road (wasn't a bridge) is a meadow area. Lyons Creek is smaller than Silver Creek and at times when I crossed it, was dry (in late summer).... :? It then drops into a canyon and becomes a cascading type of stream.... Not sure whether this happens prior to joining Silver Creek or not. :?

I've never tried to fish Lyons Creek, feeling it was not worth a major effort considering what was available in Wright's Lake and the feeder stream.... 8) 8) 8)

chemdoc
08-04-2005, 08:08 PM
If I follow you correctly, you prefer the stream flowing into Wrights lake rather than the one flowing out. Does the feeder stream run throughout the summer? It looks like it and several branches originate in small lakes in the Desolation Wilderness.

Darian
08-04-2005, 10:22 PM
The feeder creek/stream runs all year. 8) As you've seen on your map, it is, in turn, fed by some smaller streams flowing out of the Crystal Range. The main feeder runs through a meadow section where it enters the lake. 8) This is one of the sections that is slow and extremely clear (in a normal year). :shock: It may still be high considering the late rains/snow this year. :( This section requires a long leader, stealthy approach and small flies.... 8) If you decide to look into the water, wait until after fishing for awhile. Every fish in this section'll be able to see you.... :? :? As you progress upstream, the gradient increases as does the flow. 8)

By the way, bring lot's of skeeter repellant. :roll: :roll:

chemdoc
08-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks Darian. It sound a bit like the headwaters of the Truckee that has been discussed recently. I was there two weeks ago and mosquitos and spooky fish were the norm.

Mik
08-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Great creek!!! Lots of trout---rainbows, browns and brooks. Nothing over 10-12 inches, unless you find a larger pool---which there are a few. I have fished it upstream from Wright's Lake Rd and downstream. If you hike downstream about a mile or so from Wright's lake Rd. you will find on of these larger pools. Tie on a black ant and you will have fish after fish. I have caught 40+ fish on some occasions.

Darian
08-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Hey Mik,.... Glad to hear someone else likes that area. :D I was beginning to think nobody but me did. :? Of course, maybe it's better that we (chemdoc, you and I) keep a lid on it.... :wink: :wink:

chemdoc
08-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I have time for one last weekday trip to the Sierras before school starts in a week, so I think I will give this a try. You may catch bigger fish nymphing in the valley, but any fish on a dry is just so much fun. This being only my second year fly fishing, it is still a thrill hooking any fish.