PDA

View Full Version : Debate - many small or a one big one

Richard
08-02-2005, 10:52 PM
There always seems to be the ongoing debate about prefering lots of action, but mostly small or less action and bigger fish. Generally I have been in the former category. The past two weeks I have found myself in the latter group, not by choice just the luck of the draw. :roll: The advantage I find is that you take photos of the big one and you get to practice casting a lot. (I wanted to post photos of last week's fish (20"), but I still haven't found how to do that.) :( Also I caught both last week's and this week's fish on a new design I just tied (I call it the Bumbler's version of a Dahlberg Diver). Maybe I should develop a different design that attracts the babies. :wink:

Other than the biggest group (I'm just happy to be on the water rather than in the ground :lol: ) where do people stand in the many versus big debate?

David Lee
08-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Hi Richard , great to see you jump in w/ both feet !

I've always enjoyed 'working' for my fish , and having said that , I've earned a few 'once in a lifetime' fish .

But I have to admit ..... when I get nothin' but 'dinks' , I wish I could BOX w/ a MOE . And , when I am hunting HARD , and earning those monsters .... I kinda wish there were more little ones to make me feel better .

The grass is always greener on the other side ..... ya know ??

David

Darian
08-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Hi Richard,.... I'm firmly in the quality camp. Don't know you age but it hasn't been that long ago that Trout (Steelhead not incl.) stocked by DFG were all approximately 7" long. :( :( This was for put/take fisheries..... Needless to say, all of the fisherman I know didn't bother fishing for Trout in California. :( Sometime in the the 70's, I believe, DFG decided to reduce the number increase the size of trout it stocked. The result is that there're a lot more quality Trout to catch.... 8) 8) A whole lot more fun to me. :D :D

Anadromous fisheries are not stocked in the same pattern as there're probably too many variables to control (....and maybe stocking isn't really viable). However, regardless of whether fish (of any variety) are stocked or not, I prefer to catch larger fish than smaller (freshwater or ocean). 8) 8) 8) 8)

Adam Grace
08-03-2005, 06:21 PM
I've been working hard on quality lately. I have been fishing large flies deeper.

It finally paid off about a week ago.

Keep working for those bigger fish, they'll come, with patience!

FHTFYR
08-03-2005, 09:36 PM
I have to agree with David, I love to work for those big monsters but when the going gets tough I'll throw to those little guys bump up the numbers then try to go big again. Personally I'd rather say I had a 30 fish day with no monsters than I caught one nice one. Like Richard said "Better to be on the water than in the ground" :P

Now the second part of the question how do you post pics on the forum :?:

Darian
08-03-2005, 11:16 PM
I guess I have to modify my stand a little. :? If I feel the need for an ego boost, I fish for Bass/Bluegill. 8) 8) 8) You can catch a bunch and they're all fighters. 8) 8) 8) In my opinion, Bass/Sunnies fight harder than most small Trout and they can be very selective..... :D :D :D

SullyTM
08-04-2005, 06:49 AM
I have a different approach...I like to catch 'em but getting skunked doesn't bother me. I just enjoy being on the water, away from the rat-race. Sometimes what's happening around me is as interesting and exciting as what's in the H2O...For example, I've been out with David Lee and MSP twice and I've spent a few minutes just "watching". Patience is a virtue as they say...Now if I could just catch a 4 pound bass like Adam did :twisted:

MSP
08-04-2005, 07:03 AM
My opinion is this. The more difficult a fish is to catch the more satisfaction you feel when you get it. Some of my best days on the water only netted a fish or two.

Adam Grace
08-04-2005, 08:09 AM
I agree MSP!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-04-2005, 08:39 AM
I think there are two groups:

Some want to catch a lot of fish all day long, action.

Others will plan a trip looking for larger fish and be happy with only a few or even none at times.

I like to just get out and do some casting. Maybe that is the 'third group'?

Darian
08-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Bill,.... There may be another group. :? The Saltwater addicts. Lotsa big fish and some beautiful scenery, too. 8) 8) There's something energizing about being out on the salt.... 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Great Darian,

.....and the food!!! in the tropics.

It is addictive.

Snorkeling too.

Richard
08-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Yes, it's mostly about being there, it's fishing not catching, at least that's the way my dad taught it to me. I took my best friend from high school out on the Delta a couple of weeks ago and the catching was slow, but the fishing was great. He is an entomologist and what caught his eye and gave him great pleasure among other things were the terns diving for fish and the bluegill behavior over the beds. That's what my dad (also a biologist) would have called a real fisherman. The people who would have had a miserable time because the catching was slow my dad called reel fishermen.

Darian
08-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Amen Richard,.... Your father and friend have it right.... 8) 8) Sounds like a pair of great guys..... :D :D

Hairstacker
08-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Richard, I agree, there's a helluva lot to be said for just being there. I love to be out on the Delta in my inflatable kayak in a quiet area where there there is no water skier/boat traffic. Sometimes, I'll just tie up to a tree branch or tule, toss my deerhair bug out to a likely looking spot, pour my self a cup of coffee, and kick back, soaking it all in. Might watch a turtle resting on a log or an egret working the shoreline. Before long, I'll see a fish boil on the surface. . . . I often think, "this IS what it's all about, life is good . . . ." A respite from the rat race, as Thom put it. Very therapeutic.

Having said that, I'm there to catch fish. I want to catch AT LEAST one. For me, that makes the trip complete. Doesn't even have to be a "nice" fish. Once I get one on the boards, I'm happy and good to go. I don't have to catch a lot of fish and I don't have to catch a big one, although who wouldn't be happier if that happened? But at least one fish. The rest is gravy.

Richard
08-11-2005, 06:09 PM
I agree, I like to catch at least one, but mostly I try to just enjoy being on the water and maybe making a few decent casts.

Richard
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/7-26%20fish4net.jpg

SteelieD
08-12-2005, 11:03 PM
I believe I may be a member of Bill's "third group". I can sometimes just be on a small creek (my favorite), absentmindly casting and looking at the scenery and think that all is well in the world. 8) That is a great feeling. That said... I suppose I'd choose volume over mass. A whole bunch of fish makes for a fun day! :D

Nice fish Richard! :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Richard,

Where is that place youi got that big bass?

Richard
08-12-2005, 11:44 PM
In the Delta. I have my canoe at Frank's Marina on Bethel Island and I fish in that general area. With a 3 HP motor I can't go too far. :) Here's another one from the same area. http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/8-2%20fish4web.jpg

Adam Grace
08-13-2005, 01:46 AM
Great bass Richard.

The Delta is a bass wonderland. I once read that it was one of the top bass locations in the United States of America. I have seen some other large bass caught from the Delta, many large bass out there. Good job fooling some of them to grab your fly.

Hairstacker
08-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Wow, those are some nice bass Richard! Is that a Dahlberg Diver you're catching them on? How are you fishing it?

Richard
08-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Yep, my version of a Dahlberg diver. It isn't pretty, but it catches fish. I cast it towards shore and strip it back, with the tip of the rod almost touching the water, for around 10 short fast bursts of a foot or two each (no pauses) trying to make lots of noise and splash. Here's a successsfully used version of the fly. http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/7-26%20bass%20bug.jpg

Hairstacker
08-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Richard, thanks, I appreciate your comments. Looks like your fly has yellow, then chartreuse, then black, then white deerhair, is that right? What do you have on it for a tail, some saddle hackle feathers? If so, what color?

Interesting retrieve, I'll have to give that a try. Sometimes I'll go with a fast strip, but I doubt I'm kicking up the amount of fuss you are. Definitely can't argue with your success though, ha. Very cool. 8)

Richard
08-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Assuming a picture is worth a thousand words here are two thousand words on that fly. This one has a lot less flash that the earlier ones, probably a mistake on my part. http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/bug-4-web-side.jpg
http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/bug-4-web-bottom.jpg

Adam Grace
08-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the pictures Robert.

Nice fly, that fat bass thought so too.

Hairstacker
08-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Richard, thanks! You're right, the pictures say it all. Great looking fly! 8)

Richard
08-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Well, you saw the bug, now here's the bass. (The bug isn't as pretty as it once was. :lol: )
http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/8-16-fish-4-web.jpg

Adam Grace
08-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Nice Bass Richard.

This is my latest "big" bass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Chico/IMGP2449.jpg

I caught that bass on my Scott G-series 4wt light action trout rod, very fun.

The delta is a great bass fishery, I'm glad that you have good access.

Fish on bass hunter!

Richard
08-16-2005, 10:00 PM
That's quite a bass on a 4 wt rod :!: :!:

David Lee
08-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Fellas -

Why don't we start a Delta Black Bass thread ??

Might be something to be learned in that one ...... :idea:

David

Adam Grace
08-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Damn good idea there Mr.Lee!

Richard, you should start that thread since you are landind some great delta bass.

Hair you're another great delta bass fisherman. Please pipe in.