PDA

View Full Version : Softening Rod ?

Tony Buzolich
08-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Has anyone out there ever felt like their rod got softer as they used it more? No, this is not a dirty joke.

For the last couple of days I've been casting a Sage RPLXi #8 with a Teeny 300 line for stripers. The day starts out fine, the rod and line are in perfect balance and casting is great. But as the day goes on, I find myself casting harder and the rod seems to get softer as I go.

I'll switch over and start using one of my 9w. or 10w. and everything throws like a rocket again.

So,,,? What is it? Am I just loosening up when I start with the 8 weight and building strength as I warm up? Sort of like exercising, you start out slow and warm up.

Or, is it possible that this graphite loosens or softens with a little use?

If this is the case, I'll be trading this Sage in for an Abel or an XTR.
TONY

PaulC
08-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Hey Tony,
I'm not a rod expert but work on composite space structures quite a bit so maybe the same applies.
I have an RPLXi 8 wt. 9' 6" rod I use in the surf with 300 grain and haven't had similar problems.

It also could be:
(A) the repeated cyclic loading of the rod is causing a thermal load, causing the rod to stretch a bit reducing overall stiffness. I would expect this to be minimal however as thermal expansion is usually pretty minimal.

(B) the seating of the rod is shifting under change in environment and/or added heat due to casting. I could see this impacting your cast going hot to cold not vice versa.

(C) Fatigue. Well, you're not overloading your rod and this type of damage is permanent in composites. Cyclic loading at higher stresses causes softening then failure.

What would be interesting to see if it is a rod based and not user based problem is to try hanging a fishing weight off the end of your line and measure the amount of deflection of the rod at the start of the day.
Do the same at the end of the day. If there is variation, then something is happening in the rod. voids in the epoxy matrix, non uniform cure, etc.

Dunno if any of this helps, but figured I'd throw it out there. I think odds are you're just warming up.
-Paul

David Lee
08-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Hello Tony !

Perhaps the problem is ...... you've used Sage RPLX rods in the past , maybe the Xi is a 'step-down' from what you are more used to ??

The RPLX rods were , IMO , the greatest thing since Beer - I own three of them , and love 'em . The RPLXi was a sorry step down (for me , anyways) and couldn't seem to really push a line out there .

Overpowering the rod is one of my biggest casting fault - the RPLX covered my weakness and did its job - the RPLXi didn't .

Of course , the problem might be ...... you're holding your mouth wrong :P

David

rrivera
08-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Great stuff Paul..!!

I just may use weight example to test some of my favorite rods.

I still beleive that woven glass fibers or graphite sheets for that matter will devleop some sort of memory after awhile.

If a rod is used in heavy grain applications often, I wonder if it will affect the overall performance in it's designed dry line WF application..?

Hmm.. Maybe I'll pose the same questions to some of those rod makers out there.. Curious to see what thier selling points are in this matter.

Darian
08-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Hi Tony,.... I haven't experienced that circumstance with any rod that I've owned. :? Generally, my rods tended to become brittle with age; then fail.... :lol: :lol:

If this rod has somehow been "bruised" by handling (like in a baggage situation) or by a fly strike, maybe that would contribute to softening. :? Other than that, I think Paul may have something better to contribute than me....

One thing is sure, if there doesn't seem to be an explanation and you're unhappy with the rod, you'll be better off selling it and getting one you will be happy with.... :D :D :D

Adam Grace
08-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Tony, I have experienced situations like that many times. When repeatedly casting heavy sinktips your muscles in your arm tire much more towards the end of the day. When your arms tire, your body must take over and "push" the rod through the stroke. When you "push" the rod through the stroke you colaspe the tip more than when your arm is fresh at the start of the day. The rod will feel softer after a day of launching heaving heads.

I don't think that your rods or getting softer but your casting stroke is changing due to fatigue.

Just my two cents.

Hairstacker
08-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Adam, I believe you nailed that one. Very well said. 8)

Tony Buzolich
08-03-2005, 05:00 AM
Man, these are great responces. Thanks Guys.

I think all of these answers have merit.

Good stuff Paul. Haven't tried the weight thing before and after yet but would guess I'd have to do this in a static mount of some kind not just holding it.

David, you're right on too about the RPLX's. I love them. I've got two, an 8w. and a 10w. and the only other rod that come close is my WinstonXTR.

Adam, you're probably right as well. I do throw heads a lot, almost exclusively. I sometimes think my right arm has gotten bigger from all the casting. Sort of like a Fiddler Crab.
But fatigue is probably the best answer though I usually only fish from about 5:00 till about 7:30.

Oops, look at the time. I gotta get going. I'll try another couple of rods today and see what happens.

Thanks again guys, TONY

Adam Grace
08-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Tony, I used to fish the 8wt RPLXi. I noticed any amount of fatigue usually change my casting stroke enough to alter the cast. Especially with a rod like that. There is not a whole bunch of power in that tip, most power is in the butt. If anyone, fatigued or not, punches the tip it will collaspe.

I switched to a faster tipped 8wt for throwing heavy tips.

The faster tip kept up with my fatigue better and required less effort to cast.

Have fun out there!

Tony Buzolich
08-03-2005, 06:22 PM
I switched rods today and that really made a difference. I went from my #8 RPLXi to the older #8 RPLX and that was without a doubt a better rod for throwing heads. I switched again and took the same line and reel and put it on a #9 RPLXi. Almost the same sloppiness but not as bad. Moved one more time up to a #10 RPLX, and that was too much for the T-300 line.
So, what is a good line for theRPLXi ? Probably a some sort of WF Floater.
The rods were built for saltwater applications and I've used them on bones and permit and such, but most of my fishing here is with heads.

Guess it's time to try out something new.
TONY

Adam Grace
08-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Tony, I threw a 250gr head on my 8wt Xi because the 300gr was to hard to control and it tired me out faster.

I 250gr head feels much better on the 8wt Xi.

Give that a try and have fun out there.

PaulC
08-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Hey Tony,
I've been using the 8wt RPLXi with 300 grain sink tip line and intermediate running line in the surf for around five years now (the last few years almost weekly at least). I don't have an older model to compare to tho...maybe I've just adapted and don't know any better. Sounds like life might be easier with the older models.
Noticed the Xi2 rods seem to have more backbone as I was accidentally throwing 300 grain on my 6wt when I thought it was 200.
Didn't feel or look like I was grossly overloading the rod.
Friend realized he gave me the wrong loaner reel. lol.
-Paul