PDA

View Full Version : Klamath-Trinity steelhead study

Bruce Slightom
08-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Information on the current status of wild and hatchery steelhead in the Klamath and Triniity rivers is being sought. The study targets half pounders and adult steelhead taken by anglers from July -November. The study will compare wild to hatchery fish ratios by month and location. This is an opportunity to assist in gathering much neded data. Information requested is name, date, location (K: from mouth to TR, K above TR, TR to South Fork, TR above South Fork), Halfpounders (10"-16") wild or hatchery. Hatchery fish will be noted if they are Trinity fish (Adipose clip only) or Iron Gate fish (adipose and maxillary clip) And the same information on adults (16"+). If anyone is interested in helping contact me or Rodger Barnhart 4330 Jacoby Creek Rd. Bayside, Ca 95524. Thanks Bruce

Bruce Slightom
mothgils@cox.net

Jasonh
08-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info Bruce. I really wish i could help with this study but unfortunately i am stuck here in Texas. Keep us updated if you get any results. Thanks.

Jason Hartwick

Darian
08-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi Bruce,.... Could you give us an idea if this study has started, already and when this study will end (November 30th) :?: :?:

Thanks.... 8) 8)

Digger
08-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Could you provide a bit more detail on what this is about?
(just curious)

Bruce Slightom
08-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Roger has conducted this study for a few years, providing the information to management agencies. The study is made up of a few guides and local anglers that are willing to log the information. All of the anglers are fly fishers ! There is a form that he has made up. The information that is requested includes angler name, date, location (four areas, see above) number of fish divided into half pounders and adult fish, the fish counted divided into wild or hatchery and the hatchery fish listed into which hatchery of orgin. If any one is willing I will mail a copy of the forms or you can email the info to me and I will pass it on, The introductory page said the sample period is from July to November. I know that there are a few locals fishing now that participate in the survey, and if information was submitted in Dec I think that it would be welcome. Roger submitts a report that compares wild : hatchery fish ratios by month and location. Bruce. Thanks for the inquires.

ycflyfisher
08-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Actually I believe Roger was one of two bios that did one of the first studies on Klamath pounders back in the 1970's and was also the lead bio in the DFG's study from the 1980's. Count me in. I should also be able to solicit some help from the guys I know that fish the Klamath and the lower T alot.

Bruce Slightom
08-09-2005, 08:42 PM
yc, Roger knows more about half pounders than any body, it sounds like you might have gone to HSU. Thanks.

Digger
08-10-2005, 01:36 PM
So, what does the DFG report card do, if anything?
Or, do we not log 1/2 pounders on it? I forget.