PDA

View Full Version : Feather Report Monday AM

Tony Buzolich
08-01-2005, 10:10 AM
You guys down in Sac ought to be hitting the American like Bill mentioned. Now that those shad have left that resident striper populations have to eat something.

This morning I got out on the Feather to go see what's happening around here on the Feather. There were boils everywhere.

I had tied up some mullet patterns with grey bucktail and bunny strip tails with only a small amount of Krystal Flash under the bunny. I was actually tying these for Isla Holbox tarpon but thought I'd see how they swam.

Put a floating line on an old RPLX and a short #20 leader with the mullet and started casting to any close boil. Landed two schoolies about 3lbs.each.
Moved down to the mouth of the Yuba and changed to a sinking line with the same fly. Three more stripers, one dink and two about like the others.
As soon as the sun started to rise everything quit. No more grabs, no boils. All fish were taken in the Feather. Water temp. 72 degrees.

While pulling anchor I can see some flashing in the clear water of the Yuba. I'm actually fishing in the Feather but can see the bottom of the Yuba. Salmon. Nice bright chrome salmon. Moving fairly fast and not resting at all.
I made a few casts with some flashy striper flies to no avail but then I wasn't planning on fishing salmon this morning either.

In any case, stripers are around. They're real light sensitive go get out there early.
TONY

Tracy Chimenti
08-01-2005, 06:22 PM
My sentiments exactly! Wy wife is always imploring me to leave the house a little later, but I just smile and hit the road at 4::30 AM. For top-water, at least on our river, I experience a 1- to 2-hr window in the AM and a few hours at dusk, sometimes all night. The American and the Sac seem to have a bigger activity windows. I live in Penryn, so with all the growth and traffic, it's a good idea to get on the road before the rest of them get out of bed.

Tracy