PDA

View Full Version : Creek Carp/Bass Report 8/1

SullyTM
08-01-2005, 10:02 AM
...nothing like an AM quickie at a secret spot to get the week started off on the right foot. :) Went down to a local stretch of H2O thinking I might have a go with Mr. Carp...brought my 4 weight. I was using an olive Fox Poopah, size 16 and had about 5 taps and 1 take...it didn't last long :evil: I'll catch one eventually. Walked up stream about 1/2 mile to a flood control barrier thinking I might find some bass...Tied on an emerger pattern. First cast...BAM! It was a fight to the finish for my first ever bass on a fly 8) After a 15 second fight I landed...drum roll please...a 4 inch smallmouth :oops: Hey, you take you victories when you can. I proceeded to land 6 more of the little beasts! I was exhausted! Enjoy the week. Thom

Hairstacker
08-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Thom, hey, sounds like you had fun anyway! :D Congratulations on your first bass on the fly! 8) VERY cool that you found local water with smallies in it. I'll bet money there are some decent-sized, spookier ones lurking in the shadows. . . . Time to start tying up some size 8 leech patterns and some Clousers, eh? I'll bet a size 6 beadhead olive wooly bugger would work pretty good too. 8)

Ed Wahl
08-02-2005, 05:34 AM
the north fork american is finally fishing well.smallies in gin clear water.love it.

David Lee
08-02-2005, 06:06 AM
Thom -

If there's a 4-incher in there , there's some in the 2 lb. range , too .

Go get 'em !!

David

MSP
08-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Hey Thom, you can't be using those Poopahs on just any old fish now :lol: Let's try and be a little more selective :!: Congrats!!!

SullyTM
08-02-2005, 07:04 AM
Hey Mike...I've become a huge fan of the poopah! Trouble was, I didn't have my fly box of leeches and buggers, so I HAD to go my poopahs. I'll try and limit their use :roll: Thom

...on a sad note, my aluminum Martin reel sustained some damage to the frame that morning so I'm going to retire it and look for a new 4 wt., under $100. Any suggestions Forum???

Darian
08-02-2005, 08:14 AM
Hi Thom,.... Sounds like you've had a great time tormenting the fish over there.... :lol: :lol: There's a recent discussion of purchasing new rods, low cost, under General Fly Fishing, Topic: "Seeking Advice...." 8) 8)

Hairstacker
08-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Thom, sorry to hear that monster of a smallmouth warped your reel. :shock: :lol:

I only have experience with two reels for under $100 retail:

I own an Okuma Sierra 5/6 that will run you about $40 - $50 retail. Have caught many fish on it, including some that took line, and have NEVER had a problem. I subsequently bought one each for my boys and they haven't had any problems either. It has a disk drag and you can pick up spare spools for about $20-$25. The only thing I don't care about it is that it has a completely silent retrieve (some folks like that though). It has a very smooth retrieve and drag, though, and it does make noise when a fish runs. I dare anyone to suggest something better for its price -- I couldn't find anything better at the time. This model is also made in a 4/5 wt.

The other reel I have in this price range is an Orvis Battenkill 5/6, which retails for $98. It's also a disk drag reel and spare spools run about half the price of the reel. I like this reel a lot, especially the chatter it makes when a fish takes line. 8) This model is also made in a 3/4 wt.

If you could just go over the $100 mark (I think about $129), you could pick up a Teton Tioga. I have a Tioga 4, and I REALLY like it. Unlike the first two I listed, this reel is fully machined rather than cast, and it has a pretty solid frame -- you WON'T be warping the frame on this reel. I challenge you to find a better reel in its price range, and I would certainly pick it out of the three I've mentioned if I had the choice. In the scheme of things, it's still a pretty cheap reel, relatively speaking, but you wouldn't think so looking at it and holding it. Mine is in the gunsmoke color, which I really like. It also comes in basic black. I treasure mine.

Good luck! Always fun to shop for a new reel. . . . 8)

P.S. I forgot to mention I also have a Pflueger Medalist 1494. I bought it over 20 years ago for around $25(?), so I can't vouch whether the ones made today are just as good. I was very happy with it at the time, though. Caught many fish on that one and had no problems with it whatsoever. 8) I still have it and it works just as well today as it did back then. 8)

Darian
08-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Hmmmm,.... Missed that one. :oops: :oops: Oh well.... :roll:

I vote for the Pflueger medalist in whatever model suits you. 8) My first fly reel for Steelhead was a Model 1495 1/2 (circa 1968). Still have it and it's still functional. 8) 8) Bought the newer rim control Pfleuger, 1595 1/2 I believe. It has a better reel seat but is still the same basic design and just as reliable.... 8) 8) Price is somewhere under $60.00. 8) 8)

Have many other brand reels but I still use this one more than any other for Trout, Bass, Sunnies, etc.... :D :D :D

SullyTM
08-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Hairstacker...Funny, I was looking at the Teton this AM :roll: Great minds think alike :?: All that I'll admit to about my Martin is that it wasn't fish damage...it's to embarassing to tell :oops: In any event, I was planning on replacing it, but now the deed will take place before Christmas.

Darian...I'm familiar with Pfluegers. I'll check them out. Also, I'll check Bill's Product site...

Thanks. THom