PDA

View Full Version : Tying schlappen

BSD
07-31-2005, 07:04 PM
I am new to fly tying and I am trying to make some comet and comet-like flies. What is the best way to tie on schlappen? It always sticks together on me, even though I separate the hairs before wrapping it. I have been cutting off one side too, is that what most people do?
I know comets usually use saddle hackle, and I have seen references to using hackle tied wet style, what does this mean? Thank you for any help.

Tony Buzolich
07-31-2005, 07:12 PM
Hi ? BSD,

Sounds like you're going at it right, just don't use too much of it. Because of its heavier texture and longer length I like to use it almost like a spey hackle.
Just make a couple of wraps, tie off as usual, and then comb the webbing with an old tooth brush. The tooth brush will seperate the fibers and divide them more evenly around the hook.
Just two or three wraps at the most for comet type patterns.

Schlappen lends itself best to larger fly hackles like on a Whistler or something similar.

You'll get the hang of it,
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-31-2005, 08:05 PM
For years we used dyed rooster saddle hackle for all comet style steelhead and salmon flies for coastal Nor Cal fly fishing.

I use to dye saddle patches on my old gas store on 4th Avenue in the '70s because we could not buy the stuff we needed in those days.

We carried comet style flies is many different patterns from size #2 to #10 (small ones for Gualala during the draught of the late '70s).

The Gold Comet, Silver Comet, Boss, Green Weeny, Flame and Explorer where all 'comet style' flies that were popular in the '60s and '70s on our north coast.

Now people seem to be using softer stuff with more action like marabou, rabbit fur on the hide and soft webby hackle like hen and schlappen hackle.

I know that soft hackle will fold back against the body with current under a drag situation.

Tying on a hackle 'wet style' mean that the shinny side would be forward and then after winding it on you would tie back on it some to have it swept back.

We have a good video by Alec Jackson on tying lots of different steelhead flies.

Whether you use stiff or soft hackle on a comet style steelhead fly is another debate all together.