PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a spey outfit

PaulC
07-31-2005, 03:26 PM
I know alot of you guys are spey rod experts so I'm hoping you can help me out. I'm starting at looking into adding a spey rod to the arsenal and was wondering what you guys recommend as far as rod/reel/line goes.
Definitely looks like alot of fun and would be nice to give it a shot for this winter's run.
What would you view as your ideal setup?
I definiltely want to buy something to grow into and not out of.
Also, I would be interested in a rod that is salt compatible. Would be nice to try some spey casts in the salt.
Thanks in advance,
Paul

Adam Grace
08-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Paul, what type of fish or fishing would the rod be primarily used for?

PaulC
08-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey Adam,
Primary use would be steelhead. Would be nice to use it in the salt.
I was eyeing the Winston rods, but assume there may be better options...
-Paul

Darian
08-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi Paul,.... Can't offer much on Spey rods, myself, but there's a good discussion of spey rod types under the topic, "Thinking About Spey" on this BB. 8) 8) Of course, you have to wade thru some antics :lol: but there're some valuable insights there.... 8) 8)

I've heard of some of my friends using Spey Rods in the surf up here but haven't had a chance to sit down and talk to 'em on it. :? They're too busy catchin' fish. 8) 8) It sounds like Jay Murakoshi is exploring Spey casting.... You might try posting on his site www.fliesunlimited.com. Fliflicker might help too. There's gotta be a bunch of guys down there to help.... 8)

PaulC
08-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Hey Darian,
Yeah. I read that thread...good info on length and technique. I guess what I was shooting for is rod and reel brands people have tried over time and been happy with.
I was figuring to stick on the lower end of the spectrum in the 7wt range.

Definitely are guys down here in the salt with the long pole. I'm looking for sometime primarily for steelhead fishing to fish areas where my roll cast just isn't getting there with my 8wt.
Salt is a kinda secondary, wouldn't that be fun to try, type of thing.
Here's an old post from one long rodder a while back.
Man does it make a corbina look small. lol
http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1872#pid9683
-Paul

Gregg Machel
08-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Paul,
Look up Jeff Putnam's email address on his site: http://www.jpflyfishing.com and ask him about the rod and reel brands. He is big time into spey casting and is an FFF Certified Spey Casting instructor too.

Mangione Mattia
03-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Please move this to the classifieds......

Mark Kranhold
03-17-2014, 06:23 PM
This posting was back from 2005, not sure if you were aware of that.:confused:

Nate Bailey
03-21-2014, 07:37 AM
I know alot of you guys are spey rod experts so I'm hoping you can help me out. I'm starting at looking into adding a spey rod to the arsenal and was wondering what you guys recommend as far as rod/reel/line goes.
Definitely looks like alot of fun and would be nice to give it a shot for this winter's run.
What would you view as your ideal setup?
I definiltely want to buy something to grow into and not out of.
Also, I would be interested in a rod that is salt compatible. Would be nice to try some spey casts in the salt.
Thanks in advance,
Paul

Paul My advice would be to go to one of the many spey claves/events and cast as many rods as you can, that way you'll be truely happy!