PDA

View Full Version : Highway 4 vs. Highway 108... need help

stevereserve
07-30-2005, 03:47 PM
i'm new to the board and stoked to find a place like this for info sharing. i'm planning a week long trip around the end of august. not sure whether to try the stanislaus and other waters off 4 or 108 before hitting the typical streams along 395 as i come back south. i've been reading up on both these areas in sunderlands 'fly fishing the sierra nevada' and they both sound real good. just wondering if anyone had some advice or experience to offer me about which route i should take. thanks, peace.

-steve

Darian
07-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Welcome Steve,..... Always nice to hear from a new BB member. :D :D

It's been a while since I fished the Stanislaus and longer if for rivers/streams further south.... But, the Stanislaus was a good river to fish in it's upper reaches.... 8) IF you'll be coming in from the valley side of the Sierra's, I'd like to suggest that you might try coming a little further north and go up Highway 88 out of Stockton. 8) The main river in that area is the mokelumne and includes a number of lakes/tributaries that're very productive, on both sides of the Sierra's. 8) 8) You can turn off hwy 88 to hwy 4 and go thru the Markleeville area to fish the East/West Carson and a number of lakes in the area then leave that area via Hwy 89 (Monitor Pass) to get to Hwy 395 for the rest of your trip.... 8) This area is mentioned in many fishing publications for the variety and quality of fishing opportunities.... 8) Of course, all of the Sierra's are crowded at this time of year.... :( :(

Personally, after fishing both areas many times, I prefer that Hwy 88/4 route.... 8) 8) 8)

Good luck :D :D :D