PDA

View Full Version : Many 'Halfpounders' spotted in Lower American River.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2005, 09:41 AM
An old friend was in the shop yesterday having his reels worked on. He lives down by the Herrington access across from the Gristmil access. He has been going out very early in the morning (6am) fishing with a green caddis pupa.

He said he saw some schools of small steelhead swim by him in the morning only a few feet away. He said they totaled around 200-300 fish and looked to be as small as 6" and as big as 20". That was from looking through the water at them as them swam by heading upstream.

We do hear more reports of small steelhead (12-20") being caught in the river through out the entire year now.

I have fished the 'halfpounders' myself for 45 years in the Lower American River. I always fished for them in the Fall and Spring. First at 15 years old I fished them at Watt Aveneue and Howe Avenue with nightcrawlers. Then I moved to Mepps and Rooster Tail spinners. About 40 years ago and 20 years old I started catching them on flies. Having worked all this time in a fishing tackle shop in this area we always went down to the river in the Fall after work to fish for the 'halfpounders' on the caddis hatches. Most of these fish in the Fall were 14" to 22" but on occasion someone would hook a 5 to 7 pound fish.

We are always trying to convert as many anglers down there to fly fishing so we can promote barbless/catch and release to everyone. Then the Halfpounders will be in there to catch over and over in stead of in the freezer.

I am happy to see many of our members here are 'Halfpounder Hunters' too.

Jasonh
07-30-2005, 10:34 AM
That must have been a cool site to see. Sounds like a pod of striper bait to! Did he mentioned if he has caught anything around there recently? Heard a few reports but noting too consistent. Give it another month or month and a half.

Jason Hartwick

sjhtincup4
07-31-2005, 06:21 PM
Where would be a good place to learn how to catch half pound steelhead in the american river? I have lived in Sacramento for about 3 years and have heard lots of stuff about these steelhead but have never caught anything in the river. Also am re-learning how to fly-fish and have never caught anything on a dry-fly. Any info would be great!!!

Shaun

sjhtincup4
07-31-2005, 06:21 PM
Where would be a good place to learn how to catch half pound steelhead in the american river? I have lived in Sacramento for about 3 years and have heard lots of stuff about these steelhead but have never caught anything in the river. Also am re-learning how to fly-fish and have never caught anything on a dry-fly. Any info would be great!!!

Shaun

Darian
07-31-2005, 11:41 PM
Hi Shaun,..... Welcome back from the dark side. :twisted: :twisted: If you'd like to speed up the process of re-learning fly casting/fishing, you can take a lesson from a knowledgable friend or a pro, Get a video or book, then.... practice, practice, practice.... 8) 8)

Info about the Half Pounder run in the American is available from Kiene's staff or the shop website under fishing reports. 8) Also, there's been a number of posts on this subject under topic areas like "Steelhead" or "General Fly fishing", etc. 8)

Keep on fishin'.... :lol: :lol: :lol: