PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Waders for Wet Wading Needed

chemdoc
07-29-2005, 09:39 PM
As a follow-up to my Orvis pack question, I am also looking for a lightweight pair of wading shoes that can either be carried in or worn for hiking as well as fishing in Sierra streams.

There are a couple of likely looking prospects on page 105 of the new Orvis catalog. The 'Wet Wading Shoes' look like running shoes and come with neoprene booties tha fit in them. I am wondering if one could hike in these without the booties and then use the booties when wading, or if not, they appear small enough to easily pack in.

The other option is simply wading sandals. I did use inexpensive rubber soled sandals on a trip last week, and had a lot of trouble with rocks getting under my feet, so I don't know how practical these are.

Again, opinions and suggestions from more experienced fly fishers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Darian
07-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Same issue with Orvis stuff (pricey).... For this item and since you live in Davis, I'd recommend going to Kiene's and trying on some wading shoes before making a decision. Also, I'd get something that has arch support, a strong toe box and felt soles (at least felt sole inserts.... Would that be Chota brand :?: ). I know you're gonna be hiking but rubber soles're just not safe for wading in a river/stream. :roll: :roll:

There used to be some sandals that yoiu wore over the boots that had felt soles.... If they're still available, you might consider that. 8) I had a pair that lasted about 10 years before I completely destroyed 'em.... :lol: :lol:

PaulC
07-29-2005, 10:18 PM
I've been happy with the patagonia wading boots with felt sole.
Light enough weight-wise. I would also suggest using the simms guard socks for wet wading. Those two are pretty much my eastern sierras wet wading combo. Its what I use for backpacking on the eastside also.
Felt is better than rubber for the slick stuff.
-Paul

Ed Wahl
07-31-2005, 06:26 AM
best bet that i've found for both hiking and wet wading so far is just an old pair of running shoes.

mikenewman
07-31-2005, 06:31 AM
Take a look at www.korkers.com They do boots that have interchangeable soles for hiking/wading/boating etc.

chemdoc
07-31-2005, 09:56 AM
I looked at the Korkers website and these do look really neat. Has anyone had any experience using them? I'm particularly curious to know if the interchangable soles attach firmly or if they loosen over time. Thanks.

PaulC
07-31-2005, 02:40 PM
I figured I would post this as I was surprised by Patagonia on my boot experience. I take good care of my gear but noticed my wading boots (a couple years old) were starting to delaminate at the felt sole to boot interface.
I went by the patagonia shop down here in ventura this morning to see if they could send them off for repairs prior to my alaska trip. No felt soles mid trip would be a real bummer.
I couldn't believe it, but they gave me a new model at the shop.
I went in expecting to (A) pay for a new pair outright or (B) pay half the price for repairs.
The new style of shoes they have are more flexible and look a bit more rugged than my 2 year old version.
Definitely got an A+ on product support IMHO.
-Paul