PDA

View Full Version : beginner

cmaday
07-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey everybody,
I am new to fly fishing and have gone out on the American a couple times looking for steelhead. No luck, but got my first fish on a fly on the lower yuba the other night and I'm hooked. I have been fishing the american at Goethe park, using some wet flies I got from Bill and Andy at Kiene's. Just wanted to see if maybe I'm in the wrong spot :?:. I've been reading your posts and I figured I could get some good advice here. I appreciate any you may have for me. Thanks in advance.

NorCalFlyGuy
07-29-2005, 08:28 AM
advice for any newbie.....

#1: join a local fly fishing club and find somebody experienced to go with to teach you the ropes....a day on the water with somebody experienced is worth a season of fishing alone

#2 Learning how to read trout water is often more important than what fly to use...buy this book or one like it and read it cover to cover:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=8136&feature_id=&dir_id=758&group_id=8791&cat_id=7892&subcat_id=6024&shop_id=

#3 buy Ralph Cutter's book Sierra Trout Guide....there is tons of useful information, tactics and history about the waters of the Sierra you will be fishing

http://www.flyline.com/sierra_trout_guide/

#4 Always use barbless hooks (bend down the barb before you make the first cast)....countless studies have shown that barbless hooks hold better than barbed hooks because the barb widens the hole as the fish fights which allows the hook to dislodge. Obviously, a barbless hook is also better for the fish and makes it easier to release. It's a win-win situation.

#5 Learn how to properly handle and release fish - I see too many well intentioned anglers who take up fly fishing fighting fish to exhaustion, using barbed hooks that are hard to remove, and then mishandling the fish before releasing them (with most probably not making it). A fish should be released in the water or in a net with a soft webbing. If you must take a picture, leave the fish in the net or under water until you are ready to snap the photo. Learn how to revive a fish after a protracted fight by aiming it upstream in slower moving water and rocking it foreward and aft to get the water flowing into it's mouth and over it's gills.

#6 people fishing nymphs never get deep enough to catch fish...you should be prepared to lose a few rigs before you even see a fish...go deep, and learn how to set up a nymph rig properly because you will spend many fruitless days unless you learn how to do it right. The water column is separated by different flow speeds and unless you can get the flies down to the fish at a speed that looks natural, you won't catch many of them.

#7 when in doubt, use an Adams parachute dry or a Hare'sEar nymph

#8 don't think that big flies catch big fish....big fish are mainly caught on small flies (size 14 and smaller) fished deep

#9 learn a little about entomology and the bugs the trout are eating by taking classes at your local fly club or buying books on the subject

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1571883045/qid%3D1112451673/sr%3D2-1/ref%3Dpd%5Fbbs%5Fb%5F2%5F1/102-9972046-3306530

#10 flourocarbon tippets are expensive but worth their weight in gold because of the way they defract light and look invisible to the fish - use them

#11 if you are on some fishy looking water and aren't taking fish, experiment a little. Try swinging the nymph or wet fly at the tail end of a retrieve....many Sierra trout will refuse a dead drifted nymph and only take a swung fly. Not sure why, but they just do. Maybe it's a predatory instinct. Before you pick up the line to cast again, always let the fly swing in the current. You'll be surprised how many hits you'll start getting.

#12 when you get to a river, study it before wading in and casting. Look at other people (especially the ones catching fish). Where are they? What are they doing? Walk up the river and observe some more. Fish tend to bunch up together in prime lying areas, so if you find those, you're golden. It's the 80/20 rule.

read as much as you can on the subject...subscribe to some fly fishing magazines and continue to learn...it's a lifelong process

tight lines

Jasonh
07-29-2005, 09:13 AM
As for finding steelhead on the american it can be tough this time of year. There are some fish but they can be tough to catch. Fish converging current seams and deep fast pockets. Since the water is warm in the summer the fish are looking for oxygen which is where you will find fast pockets and riffles. Goethe park has a lot of good water like this. Also look for them feeding on caddis in the evenings as the sun goes down. Try swinging some soft hackles or other wet flies at that time. Hope this helps and good luck.'

Jason Hartwick

CW
07-29-2005, 10:50 AM
The replies above are invaluable - especially finding someone that has fished a while that you can go with, and learning how to read where fish would be. I think one of the most important things that you will learn by going with a "mentor" is how to fish with odds in your favor - such as where to fish, when to fish, deep or on top, moving fly (swung fly) or dead drifted, etc. If you have some time and your budget allows, take a class or lesson. Casting and presentation are probably the most important things to learn, because you can get your fly to the right spot the first time instead of scaring the fish with the first 5 casts. I'm sure you will find that this sport takes a lot of time and effort, but the rewards are worth it. Keep going - just keep going. Best wishes.

BillPu
07-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Hey Cory,

I'm a newbie out on the AR as well. I took a shooting head casting lesson from Andy the other night and it was well worth the money. Casting shooting heads is no longer a frustrating experience for me now. Well let's say it's LESS frustrating. :lol:

The lesson was conducted on the river and while we were practicing, Andy saw a couple of steelhead jump. We also saw a convetional angler hook up with a nice half pounder. I am definitely headed out there again with some Fox Poohpah's! They are out there.

Good luck!

Bill

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2005, 09:23 AM
My advice is to go out a lot especially in the AM and PM now with this heat.

I am sure some of these very active guys on this message board would meet you out on the river too.

Taking a few lessons is a good idea too.

There are some good books and we rent videos as well.

Fly clubs are great but I think we have our own fly fishing club going on right here on this BB too.

And thanks for posting here.

07-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Hey NorCal Fly Guy
That is some of the best put together information I have seen written.Great job.
As for the nubies. Check out (gbflycasters.org)It is a great club and has plenty of good flyfisherman to help you.Also many classes on all types of fly fishing.I believe the cost is $35 a year and you can eat that amount at the meetings and picnics.
Copy the Nor guys information and refer to it often .
Good fishing and have fun.

Rob
07-30-2005, 12:15 PM
And don't forget to use them BIG flies like streamers. :wink: :wink:
They do catch big fish. :lol: :shock:

Size 8 green zonker.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Flyfishing/codysbigfish.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Flyfishing/DSCN0017.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Flyfishing/Jason.jpg

4'' long woolhead sculpin.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Flyfishing/1c23f345.jpg

BigBuddha
07-31-2005, 02:20 PM
One other advantage of barbless hooks, especially when new to the sport. They are easier to remove from your shirt and hat!

Fly Angler
08-02-2005, 11:05 AM
The Nor Cal Fly Guy is right on about joining a fly club! With all the clinics, outings and instruction provided by a local club, a beginner's learning curve is increased ten fold.

Making new fishing buddies that can teach you their techniques and favorite waters is also invalueable.

There are two local clubs that are outstanding. Both CFFU annd GBF are great Flyfishing Organizations.

You can find out more about them at:
www.cffu.org and www.gbflycasters.org

If you live outside the area you can go to the NCC/FFF at www.fedflyfishers.org for clubs close to you.

Hairstacker
08-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Cory and Fly Angler -- welcome aboard!! Glad to have you guys here!

Adam Grace
08-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Good advice guys.

Fish barbless, much easier to romove from skin and clothing. AND much easier to femove from the fish.

Fish a lot of caddis patterns for the HP(half pounders).

Here are some productive patterns, Fox's poopah, Z-wing caddis, BH Super Pupa, Emergent (dear hair wing dry fly) and Deep (weighted nypmh) sparkle pupas by Gary LaFontaine, elk hair caddis, E/C caddis.

Fish for the HP like you would for trout.

Swinging caddis pupa patterns can be a ton of fun.

Good Luck!

Fly Angler
08-04-2005, 10:39 AM
I often wondered why the fly fishing industry dosen't go exclusively to barbless hooks. The shops could sell barbless flys and everyone would conform. We have preached barbless for many years as the responsible way to fish but we still sell flys with barbs.

Maybe if the shops added fifty cents to the price of a barbed fly people would have another incentive to use barbless.

Darian
08-04-2005, 11:51 AM
That's a nice but somewhat unrealistic sentiment.... :? Don't want to start anything here, but....

Fishing hook manufacturers respond to demand.... As long as we (you and I) continue to purchase barbed hooks, I wouldn't expect things to change. 8) 8) Nor does it seem realistic to make Bill or any other fly shop owners take responsibility for charging a higher price for their products. :? They're in business to make a living/profit. 8) 8) That, in turn, enables them to stay in business and sell the stuff for us to go out and fish. 8) 8)

Besides, if the truth was known, most fisherman (fly fisherman too) fish with barbed hooks when they're using bait.... :twisted: :twisted: You know,.... on the dark side.... :P :P :P :P

MSP
08-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Hell I even pinch down my barbs when I use a plastic worm :shock: did I say that :?:

cmaday
08-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey Everybody,
I just wanted to thank everybody who replied for all of the advice. It has been helpful. Maybe I'll see you on the river.