PDA

View Full Version : Kaweah River Report

FoothillFlyFisher
07-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Thought I'd pass along a little info. on the Kaweah river above the town of Three Rivers, just east of Visalia should any of the Northern Cal. fly fisher people happen to be down this way. Been down here working for a few weeks and have gotten a pretty good feel for the fishing.

I've fished the North fork, Marble and Main (Middle) fork of the Kaweah and from my experience a person just spending a few day's in the area should consentrate there time on Middle fork. Only problem I can see is access down to the river once your in Sequoia park. Most of the river is accesable from pull outs on the main road in the park. BUT!!! There's alway's a but... You'll find a long steep climb down to the river, and one fishing alone should be careful for that reason. And, if there was any place where you know you could run into one of those nasty bell worms
(Rattlesnake) this would be it. The climb out from the river in the summer cam be a little warm, especially this year, nearly a vertical climb in some spots in 100 degree heat never hurt and one?!?!?! :oops: "Not" So keep these things in mind.
You can find some spots with easy acces and a short easy walk to the river, but I have found they don't fish as well as the more unaccesable locations.

Fishing is good right now, and the river is level is dropping to just about perfect conditions, should even be better for wading in the next two weeks. Lots of hungry rainbows ( 7' to 12' ) in. taking just about any attractor dry you can throw at them. Size isn't that important, as I have found the fish like taking a size 10 Stimulator over a 16 Adams. You can get into some browns also ( 8' to 14' ) in. class in you fish the deeper holes with wet flys, under an indecator or tight lined fished with some weight on the leader. I found bead head Zug Bugs, Flash Back P.T.'s and Olive 3-D's are good fly's to start with. The water temp. is in the lower sixty's as of last night. The fish are all hard fighters and eager to grab a well placed fly. I've averaged 15 to 25 fish outings.

If anyone should pass down this way I'd give it a try, hope this little bit of info. can help out. I'll be heading back home to Nor-Cal. this weekend my job here is completed. I know I'll certainly miss my evening trips to fish the Kaweah, and I'll certainly be making a few trips down here again to fish it in the future. 8)

Should anyone need any more info. on the Kaweah try; "Buzz's Fly Shop" in Visalia. Friendly little shop with a very knowledable owner who's fished this are his entire life.