PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Rinsing

slack_in_the_box
07-24-2005, 05:25 PM
I recently purchased a Lamson Lightspeed for roping Corbina in the surf and want to make sure I take great care of it. 8)

I have been told that after each use I should "rinse" it. I am wondering what you all do to keep your reels protected from the salt. I have read to soak the reel in the sink. BUT others have said only rinse it with running water. In the past I have always rinsed and soaked with no problems.

What do you do to keep your reels clean?

One more question :wink: , I have read that Salt-X is a great product to use. Have any of you tried this on fly-reels?

Thanks! :D :D

Rhys

PaulC
07-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey Rhys,
I typically rinse all my salt water reels immediately after use. Its not the greatest solution but better than nothing. However, using cold water can help drive the salt into metal that isn't anodized due to wear. I try to, but don't always, soak the reel in warm water which helps pull more of the salt out of your line/backing and deep clense the reel.
I use a little bit of non-scented ivory soap in the mix.
Sort of the whole salt dissolves better in warm water context.
Its kept my reels running fine for years of moderate to heavy use in the salt.
Hows the red tide down there in San Diego? I heard its still hanging out. Manhattan beach looked clear today, so hopefuly the trend continues your way. Good luck with the bean hunting, they're definitely still out there cruisin the skinny water.
-Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-24-2005, 10:22 PM
We have had some problems in the past with salt water getting inside those Lamson Litespeed and Velocity fly reels and rusting up the drag bearings. I think they might have corrected most of this.

We love these reels but be careful and take a look inside the drag system once and a while to see if it is getting salt water in it.

Darian
07-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Hi Slack,..... I'm with Paul on this. 8) 8) I'm assumming that Paul, also, disassembles the reel when rinsing and putting it away for the day. I have a saltwater reel with anodizing on it and found, while down in Baja, that Salt had penetrated into about half of the dacron backing and had deposited on a point where a screw hole was.

My solution was to take the rod into the shower with me, disassemble the reel and strip off enough line to allow the shower to penetrate and rinse all of the salt out. Lube and you're ready to go.... 8) 8) No problemo, since. :D :D :D

By the way, what's Salt-X :?: :?: Not familiar with the product. :? :?

slack_in_the_box
07-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey thanks for the info. 8)

Here is a link to salt-x:

http://saltx.com/forthe.htm

Bill, do you carry this stuff at the shop, or have an opinion on it?

:D