PDA

View Full Version : Truckee River

Rob
07-24-2005, 09:22 AM
I fished the Truckee river for two days.
Fishing was tough.
I tried every streamer I had . :(
I even stopped at the fly shop in Truckee and bought a few streamers that they recomended . But not a hit.
I did not see a single fish rise in the two days there. :(
I did have good luck on my last day using a hopper with a prince nymph dropper 3' below. :lol:
I landed around 8 fish all small 10''-12'' Rainbows and Browns and lost two nice Rainbows 18''+ .
All the fish took the dropper.
Even though the truckee is a tough river I still love fishing it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Flyfishing/resizedtruckeephoto.jpg

Take care
-Rob

PatrickM
07-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Hey Rob,
I was just up there last weekend for three days. I found the fishing a bit slow too, but there were a few periods when the fish seemed to cooperate. The prince nymph was also the best producing fly for me, but I was high-sticking it instead of fishing it under a dry. I never fish a dry on the Truckee unless I see some rising fish. I did have some luck with the z-wing caddis and a dead-drift crawdad pattern too. No luck for me on streamers either. One evening there were a few caddis popping off and I had some good action swinging a wet fly.
Even though it's tough fishing up there, I love that place too.
Hope to see you up there some time.

Rob
07-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Hey PM

The crawdad pattern you used did you tie it you self or did you buy it?
They had a dead drift crawdad pattern at the Truckee fly shop that looked good.
Take care
-Rob

slack_in_the_box
07-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Hey Rob,

What was the water temp where you were fishing the Truckee?

Rhys

slack_in_the_box
07-27-2005, 04:48 PM
meant for this to be included in my last message...Try "Tim's crayfish pattern" and "Cutters goblin". You can get them at the shop in Truckee.

Dead drifting these things and stripping down the banks at first and last light is effective.

ChrisC
07-27-2005, 05:27 PM
check out the latest issue of california fly fisher. They have a recipe for Tim Heddon's dead drift crayfish. Might help.

Rob
07-27-2005, 05:37 PM
The temp was 64 deg.on the truckee.

Rob

Tony Buzolich
07-27-2005, 06:59 PM
When I used to live up there I'd fish the lower Truckee below Hirschdale with a crawfish pattern (store bought) and picked up several memorable fish.
Most of this area is a tough walk but the fishing here doesn't get pounded like it does around town.

Sculpin patterns are another good one for that area. Dredge those holes. There are some monsters in there that look like salmon.
At the Hirschdale store they've got a picture of a 30"er that came to a fly for a guy fishing in a float tube working his way downstream.
TONY

PatrickM
07-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Rob,
I was using Tim's dead-drift crayfish, which is the one they sell in the Truckee shop. I was up there about three weeks ago and Tim showed me how to tie it, so mine were actually home tied. I hate paying $4 for a fly that I'm probably going to lose in about half and hour. As mentioned above, the latest Cal Fly Fisher has an article about how to tie it, and also an article by Tim on how to fish it.
Bye the way, I took the temp about nine in the morning on the Truckee, and it was 62 degrees.

jmccandless
07-31-2005, 08:14 PM
I don't recognize that area of the Truckee. Is that in the canyon section?

I am headed up in a couple of weeks...fingers crossed that the action picks up...

Tight lines,
Jason