PDA

View Full Version : Nor-Vise

rhelliott
07-23-2005, 08:32 AM
Looking to upgrade my vise any input on the Nor Vise would be helpfull. I have a friend that owns one and just loves it. I'm looking for a unbiased opinion.

Darian
07-23-2005, 09:18 AM
I don't own a Nor Vise but have seen them used by several professional tiers. 8)

Actually, the entire package includes a spring loaded bobbin that always returns to a specific position (in easy reach) when released from the hand. 8) 8) Each item compliments the other and allows the tier to best exploit the advantages of the package. 8) They can be purchased separately but I'd recommend buying both. 8) 8) 8)

Back to the vise. :roll: Used correctly, the position of the jaws allows for centered location of the hook shank for any fly (well, maybe not bendbacks :( ). Don't know the exact size of hooks accommodated but the range looks large. 8) 8) I've seen professionals apply body materials and hackle a fly perfectly every time using this vise and in each case it only took seconds to complete due to the rotation of the hook not your hands. :shock: Materials for tails and wings are easily attached with the rotation of the vise stopped. 8)

Personally, I wouldn't invest in this vise unless you're a serious tier as it lends itself to production tying and it's expensive.... On the other hand, if you just have to have a new/expensive toy, go for it. 8) 8) 8)

PaulC
07-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Theres a good review...bit dated but relevant at
http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/

I've owned three vises. A regal, which is still good for larger hook sizes, but the jaws are worn after a year of heavy tying. Doesn't work well for 20 and below.

Went to a dynaking voyager which is a great streamside vise, but the jaws also got worn out a bit over time. I use that in my car when on the road...not driving but parked:) Driving and tying would require some serious skill.

Finally went to a renzetti masters vise which is absurdly pricey, but given the range of stuff I'm tying I'm very happy (24's to 3/0's). Not a problem with it yet after a couple years of tying.
I love the rotary for building profiled baitfish patterns and quick productiion style tying of bodies. Can get great uniformed ribbing with little effort.

Long story short, I'd recommend tying large and small patterns on your friend's and see how you like it. Everyone has their own style/habits and their needs are different.
If you think you'll stick with tying, its definitely the investment to get a vise that fits your needs. Happy tyin!
-Paul

PS another point to note is that I had a friend looking for a renzetti masters a while back on Ebay. Some of the used ones in nice condition were nearly as expensive as the new despite being a couple years old.
He ended up just buying a new one to avoid the hassle.

Jay Murakoshi
07-23-2005, 07:39 PM
I've been using a NorVise about a year now. I have finally gotten use to it and can whip out the flies just like Norm Norlander, well not quite as fast. The perch flies are really fast and if I was doing trout patterns, I think they would be smoking off the vise. I have used Dyna King vises for years and still have mine on the table.

I had Norm modify my vise so it would fit into a Dyna King extended arm unit. I tie down by my lap so I needed a little modifiying. I also use a C clamp for the bobbin thread holder. The automatic bobbins take some getting use to but once you do, no more low hanging bobbins and with the thread holder, you can get the bobbin out of the way. It's neat the way the vise spins fast or slow.

I'm looking to have my Nor Vise modified some more as soon as I figure out what I want exactly

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2005, 10:42 PM
You can't just play around with a Nor Vise.

You need to see Norm Norlander tie on one at one of the ISE shows then get fully outfitted and get his video and only tie on that vise.

It really works but is not really very popular for what ever reason?

Some commercial tiers use them.

We carried them ~10 years ago.

Tony Buzolich
07-24-2005, 06:54 AM
A couple of years ago I bought one of the Norlander bobbins thinking "Geez what a beautiful machined thing this is".

Well after struggling with loading and trying every which way possible to like this thing, I finally got frustrated enough to take it back to Norm at the next ISE show where he was.

He said "Ya, a few people have trouble getting used to them". He designed the bobbin to be used WITH his vise.

Well, I have several nice Dyna King vises that I love, but just could never get used to working with his bobbin.
TONY

07-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I started using a Nor-vice Back in 1996 or 1997. Norm gave me a deal because I was tying in the show.I have used it ever since exclusively.
Sorry Tony,The best part of the thing is the bobbin.It does take a month or so to get use to. It also doubles your speed in tying. I hate to keep rolling back the thread on the spool.
Every man to his own,they all work.

Jgoding
07-25-2005, 09:20 AM
I got my Nor-vise last year. I got the fine point jaws for tying small and the regular jaws do alright with everything else. The bobbin I can't live without anymore. I can't roll up the thread on them old outdated standard bobbins anymore...LOL. I really didn't find it hard to get used to at all but re-spooling the thread is sometimes bothersome. I did watch the video and stuff before I started so I had a good idea of what to expect. The vice took a little adjustment but more in figuring out exactly how to get everything set-up so it was all in line etc.. The vice does have some drawbacks, but I wouldn't trade it in for anything else on the market currently.

And Norm will take great care of you as well.

Jeff