PDA

View Full Version : Spey fishing is fun

Adam Grace
07-19-2005, 07:34 PM
For those of your still trying to cast really far with your single -handed rods, give up. Try spey!

Much easier and more fun when fishing in longer distances.

If you fish for steelhead and salmon and you don't spey fish you need to switch. Spey fishing is a man's sport.

That's right I said it , A man's sport.

Join up!

David Lee
07-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Do I have to give-up my Midol ???

Distance is secondary - CONTROL is the name of the game ( or .... is it the other way around ... :roll: ) .

I have yet to use a Spey rod .... but the applications are right there in our valley rivers .

Don't get too 'Manly' on us , young fella - :twisted:

David

Adam Grace
07-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Is drinking also manly, if so I'm Paul Bunyan.

After work today I had a few a spent some time soaking in the rays in our brand new inflatable pool. The air was hot and the beer was cold.

No need to say more :oops:

My drunken posts are cracking me up. :lol:

At least I'm a happy drunk :!:

P.S. Spey fishing is very fun and most should give it a try if they fish for steelhead, shad or salmon.

rrivera
07-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Hmmm....

Inflatable Pool * 6(cold ones) = MAN

What is it that you do in Chico again Adam..?? :lol:

Have few more... Paul B...!!

Pretty soon you'll be so big that I'll see that D loop from here... :!: :lol:

Take care buddy.... Lets go fishin somtime...

Jasonh
07-20-2005, 07:54 AM
Spey fishing is AWESOME. When i am able to get back to Sacramento that is the one thing i really look forward to doing. While i am still learning more about the casts and other aspects, it is the only way i would fish for salmon, steelhead, shad, and a few trout. If you have not tried spey fishing/casting yet, your missing out.

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
07-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Ray and Jason, I would love to go spey fishing with you guys.

Maybe you guys, myself and any other board members who want to learn about spey should meet up on the American. We should pick a day when Jason will be back.

We could have our own little spey clave.

Anyone else interested?

Jasonh
07-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Sounds good to me. I thinkf it would be fun to maybe to something in the fall when the half pounders are in and we can talk fishing strategires with the spey also. Hey if you and ray want to hook up on the yuba when i am home in august i would love to.

Jason Hartwick

Gregg Machel
07-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Count me in on this one, I should have a spey rod in a couple weeks! Let me know when and where, and I'm there!

Adam Grace
07-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Jason, What time in August will you have free to go and spey?

Gregg, you are more than welcome to join us.

Talk to Jeff before you purchase a rod, don't just go out on the internet and purchase a cheap buy. Bad Idea. I have seen too many poor saps buy a spey rod off of the internet without researching different rods because it was less expensive.

With your new connectins with Kiene's, STRONGLY rely on Jeff's advice!

Jasonh
07-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Adam, i will be back aug 13-22 but probably will not be able to fish until about 17,18,19. It would be better if i let you knoe when i get home on the 13th. My schedule is up in the air as i am trying to qualify for the reno tahoe open on the 15th. I would love to get out with you guys though.

Jason Hartwick

rrivera
07-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Heya Adam - Jason & "The Big G-Mac"

Lets plan on the weekend of Aug. 19th. I'll have a couple of days off during that week. Plus Jeff P and I are taking the boat out on the 19th.

He's going to polish up some of the nasty habits I have on the double and single handers. Plus maybe we'll get into some fish, who knows. That way I can practice what I learned.

I was thinking maybe Gristmill, or some where we won't get bombarded with too many folks. I'll bring a cooler and maybe one of those mini propane jobies, just big enough to heat chow or somthin like that.

We'll be Spey Tail Gating untill we see fish working, then we'll see who can bull whip the loudest on the double handers. :lol:

Let me know - We got some time to polish up the details. Look forward to it. -RR

Jasonh
07-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Sounds good to me. Lets all stay in touch.

Jason Hartwick

David Lee
07-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Count me in if there's room , fellas .....

Just about time I gave this stuff a try .

Oh , yeah ..... I'll cook :idea:

David

rrivera
07-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Does 4 people count as a clave..? If we're all practicing, who guards the man sodas...?

David... We have you counted. We'll see if if I can muster up some more participants.

Don't re-call, but did the Sac Spey Clave ever take off this year..?

I'll bring my tape on beard and flannel shirt to do my Dec Hogan imitations.... :wink:

Adam Grace
07-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Nice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dec Hogan impersonation!

Funny Stuff :!: :!: :!:

Rick J
07-22-2005, 06:19 AM
I will try to make it up for a day! I am off to Silver Creek first week in August and checking out the Klamath the last weekend in August but free in between.

Hey Adam - any extended weekends in September you are free for another venture up the Klamath?

Jasonh
07-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Sounds like we have some good interest for a small gathering. That time fo year might give us the opportunity at some half pounders in the evening. I am looking forward to it.

Jason Hartwick

Moose
07-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Tell ya what, I'll bring my real beard and my Dec Hogan rod!

I'm in!

Moose

Gregg Machel
07-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Talk to Jeff before you purchase a rod, don't just go out on the internet and purchase a cheap buy. Bad Idea. I have seen too many poor saps buy a spey rod off of the internet without researching different rods because it was less expensive.
With your new connectins with Kiene's, STRONGLY rely on Jeff's advice!

I did talk to Jeff earlier, and I will be getting a Gary Anderson Custom Spey Rod, then picking it up in a couple weeks. :) I'm going to start off with a 12'6" 6 wt. and then get a 5 or a 4 after that. He's also got a new hybrid line of spey rods too that are interesting (both spey and regular).

Rick J
07-22-2005, 09:50 PM
I hope to have Gary's 4 wt in a couple of weeks so should be available to play atthe mini clave if I can get over there. His 3 and 4 can come as 4 piece spey rods or 5 piece conversion rods. The new Rio Outbound is supposed to be a great line on this rod! Can't wait to try it on the Klamath and will bring it on my trip with Bill to the Grand Ronde in October

Moose
07-23-2005, 04:33 AM
Well, if trouters are the rod du jour then I'l bring along my Meiser 12 1/2 foot 4/5/6.

Gregg Machel
07-23-2005, 05:11 AM
Rick, I may be wrong, but I think Bill just got one of Gary's 4 wt. spey rods in stock, you might want to give the store a call or stop in to check in out.

Rick J
07-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Gregg - I will call to check it out

rrivera
07-23-2005, 11:17 PM
I'll bring all my meiser series rods... Sounds like this will be a good time... :wink:

David Lee
07-24-2005, 12:10 AM
If one of you Gentlemen would be so kind ....

I don't own a Spey outfit , but would like to give it a try - if there's a spare rig around , would you be so kind as to loan it to me for the afternoon ??

Let's get a list of people showing up , as to get the BBQ numbers right .

David

Gregg Machel
07-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Whenever we get a date finalized for this, let me know and I'll put it up on the Kiene's Events calendar. If you haven't seen this, it's in the upper right hand corner of your screen on the navigation bar. :) Also, if there are any other events that are fly fishing related, let me know too.

If you are feeling ambitious, there is a link at the bottom of Events to "add an event". If you fill this out, it will be submitted to an admin and they will either approve or not approve it. This way, you can add your own events and skip the middle person. Either way works.

Rick J
08-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Anyone set a date for this yet - Sat or Sunday?

Adam Grace
08-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Not yet.

What days work the best for you guys?

We could get together and spey cast for a while then BBQ at Goethe park.

Everyone who is interested reply a good time of the week to meet up. That way we can pick the best date.

I will try to organize this get together.

rrivera
08-07-2005, 09:58 PM
20th-21st or 27th-28th sounds good to me. We should take a vote for either Sat or Sun for those final weeks in Aug.

-r

Adam Grace
08-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Neither dates work for me.

I am attending Gregg's wedding on the 20th.

The other weekend I will be enjoying in Hawaii.

rrivera
08-08-2005, 09:20 AM
I'm flexible... What ever the majority decides I'll be there.

Rick J
08-09-2005, 09:06 PM
I will do my best to make it - Sat would likely be better than Sunday for me

Adam Grace
08-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Anyone else?

aaron
08-09-2005, 11:14 PM
I've never even touched a spey rod but if anyone was willing to give me some pointers id be interested. Been wantin to try it for a long time now.

Adam Grace
08-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Aaron you are welcome as well as any other board members.

Which days work the best for you?

aaron
08-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks adam, the 20th or 21st is probably best for me but i could probably make it on another date as well.

Jasonh
08-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Have we decided on a date yet? I am back in Sac the 13-22 and should be open for half a day on the 19,20, 21. Just let me know when you guys figure it out.

Jason Hartwick