PDA

View Full Version : West Valley lakes

FHTFYR
07-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Took my kids fishing on 7/14-15 to a couple of small lakes in the costal mountains (Letts and Ladoga). We went to Letts for some trout Fishing but found out that in DFGs wisdom they had drained the lake two years ago to kill off the bass and replant trout but with 7/8s of the water gone :shock: oops we ran out of money :!: Guess what survived the bass they are thick under every lilly pad, tree, rock shallow water deep water didnt matter. The kids loved it they landed 25 fish 10"and under. It was a joy to see my kids get tired of catching fish :D . Then it was my turn little bass on dry flies and a four weight AWESOME whamo my first bass on the fly :mrgreen: never anything big but who cares I sure did'nt. They would take anything that resembled a bug and would float high on the water. The second day we went to Ladoga fished the little coves for Panfish kids fished for a little while (I think still on fish overload from the day before) caught about 10 bluegill then got board Then again my turn, I noticed fish sipping something off the surface so I figured why not try dry. Bule gill and Red Ear till about noon so cool 8) tyipical places around the trees and edges of tules. First panfish on the fly, dry fly at that. All for all nothing could beat this weekend just the kids and I and a ton of fish, Two kids tired of catching fish and my first Bass and Panfish. :)

So if you live on the west side of the valley try these lakes dont expect nothing big but expect fun :!:

Hairstacker
07-16-2005, 01:38 PM
FHTFYR, great report and sounds like you found the PERFECT venue for the kids! Young kids always seem to prefer numbers over size, ha. Come to think of it, sometimes I feel that way too. :oops: Anyway, congratulations on your first bass and panfish on topwater flies!

Adam Grace
07-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Congratulations on your first couple of warmwater fly rod fish.

Warmwater species like bass and especilly bluegill make for a great first fly rod fish.

My first fish ever caught was a 3" bluegill.

I was so proud that I had to keep the fish, stored in the freezer. With my parents help, I would remove the rock hard bluegill from the freezer and show everyone who came to our house, even the mail man. That poor frozen fish traveled in and out of that freezer for months :lol: