PDA

View Full Version : Burlap?

Jasonh
07-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Looking to find some burlap to tie up some steelhead flies for the klamath and trintiy. Anyone have any ideas where to find it? Thanks.

Jason Hartwick

Digger
07-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I think the 'Mayor' might be willing to part with some...

David Lee
07-14-2005, 02:29 PM
P.M. me your addy , Jason - I'll send some in natural Burlap , and some dyed Golden Stone .

David

Jasonh
07-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks David.

Jason Hartwick

Darian
07-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Sounds like the problem's solved.... 8) Some alternate sources for burlap might be a baitshop which sells burlap bags, a garden supply or craft/hobby shops usually have some plain and dyed.... 8)

SullyTM
07-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Jason...still need some burlap? I have some brown burlap. Hey David, got an extra hunk of the Stone Fly Yellow burlap? If you do just send a small amount with my August flies. Danka! Thom

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-28-2005, 08:47 AM
The Burlap was a standard Steelhead fly on the Klamath and Trinity Rivers 20-40 years ago.

At on time we stocked burlap in natural and in died green/olive.

We would actually take a finger nail sanding board and sand the burlap body after it was installed on the hook which would raise up the fibers making it more bushy/fuzzy and then trim it with scissors.

dberry
07-28-2005, 12:39 PM
To this day, the burlap is one of the more productive flies on the upper Sacramento thanks to Ted Fay

Jay Murakoshi
07-28-2005, 02:34 PM
I used to buy my burlap at Beverly Fabrics. I tied hundreds of dozen of the Golden stone nymphs for Herb and Patty Burton at the Trinity fly shop
I was buying the burlap by the rolls and hand shredding each strand.

Brings back memories of fishing the trinity and the klammath. I use to be part of a group that had rights to a fish camp right across the river from Johnson's. I think the name of the riffle was called the Metta Riffle. I also tied up alot of BB and Silver hiltons for the store right there at the bridge. I don't know if it's still there or not. The name at that time was called the Orleans Store.

Recalling the days

Jay

Darian
07-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi Jay,.... Are you referring to the store at the bridge in Weitchpec :?: :?: If yes, I probably have some of your flies in one of my old Steelhead fly boxes :D :D :D

Jay Murakoshi
07-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Darian,

Yes, it was the store right next to the bridge. I'm trying to remember the owners name but old age is keeping me from remembering.

Jay

ycflyfisher
08-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Jay,

The Store in Weitchpec is Pearson's and is owned by Billy Pearson. The store in Orleans that most associate with fishing is called the Orleans Mining Co. and was owned for years by Jim and Hermina Hundley but they sold it year before last.

Hope that jogs the memory.
Willie

Grub67
08-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Has anybody tried substuting hemp for Bulap. I've been thinking of trying this out. A hemp store in town has the stuff in a multiude of colors. Would like to here from anybody that has used it on flies

Darian
08-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Hey Grub,..... I looked at Hemp a few times, way back, and decided it was too much trouble to prepare it for tying when compared with burlap. :( :( Also, it was bulky and made the bodies of the flies I was tying too fat. :( :(

Of course it may've been that I didn't prepare/use it correctly, too. :? Maybe I should look at it again.... 8) 8)

Frank Alessio
08-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Jason......There used to be a place down town called the Sacramento Bag Company.....If not I have seen small bags of it in Fly shops... I would like to see a sample of your finished product.... I have been using gunny sack flys on the upper sac for a large number of years......Frank

Rick J
08-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Here is a photo of the Klamath Caddis (KC)(designed by Brett Jensen) - a great burlap fly fished with either a floater or sink tip - it has a foam underbody with a fat reverse taper to it

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/RickJ/KlamathCaddis.jpg

Klamath Caddis burlap

Darian
08-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Hi Rick,.... This fly is a floater :?: :?: Or, is the foam not a closed cell variety :?: :?: Is the body ribbed :?: :?: Interesting pattern. What size hook is recommended :?: :?:

Rick J
08-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Hi Darian,
Use craft foam strip just to build up the taper you want then wrap with thread. Then wrap a strand of burlap for th body. It works well as a skater - hooked a couple on top up on the N Umpqua. Mainly I fish it damp or subsurface - the wing I think traps bubbles and it is really deadly on a sink tip. I tie it low water style on a T200 (starting body about the half way point) On the Klamath I am fishing mostly 8's and 6's. On the NU I will go to a size 4. If you use rust colored burlap with a dark wing it makes a great October Caddis pattern up on the N Umpqua

Darian
08-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks Rick,.... I'd post a longer note but I'm already tying some 8) 8) 8) 8) Both types (light and dark) :lol: :lol: