PDA

View Full Version : American River Hex

Jgoding
07-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Hit Goethe today. Had some bad luck, broke my rod but caught a fish anyways. Least the warranty will cover it. Guided my brother into some shad too and even saw some Hex come off the water. I caught one drifting down and will let it dry out and fly away hopefully, nice bright yellow, with a dark back. Very cool looking insects.

Jeff

David Lee
07-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Awwwww .... that's CRAZY-TALK there , Jeff .

Probably a 'blow-over' from Natoma :idea:

Bring me a shuck , then , we'll talk :P

By the way .... I have an extra float tube .... if you wanna hit Natoma and see what actually eats the big Mayflies - :twisted:

See you soon :arrow: David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-12-2005, 11:45 PM
I have fished the Hex on Lake Natomas this time of year right at sunset and have heard they do come off on the backwater ponds along the lower American River.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/album01/hex.jpg

Photo by Adam Grace

David Lee
07-13-2005, 05:41 AM
Looks like I'll be having some CROW for breakfast this morning :)

Did you see very many of them , Jeff ???

David

Jgoding
07-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Hey David,

I wasn't sure if my eyes were deceiving me or not either. First, I saw something big fly from the bank.... then I saw one pop up on the water and fly off right in the same area, in a very shallow calm area or perhaps it landed in the water and then flew, not sure, but pretty sure it looked like it popped up in the water and then took off. I finally caught a cripple floating down and struggling in the exact same area. I have that one on my tying desk. It died last night I guess. So all in all, I saw 3 in the span of 5 minutes or so.

How's Thursday after work look for you David?? We can dig around for some hex if the fishing is slow!!

Jeff

Adam Grace
07-13-2005, 12:34 PM
How's that crow David? :P

I have seen Hex's come off in the backwaters of the Americsn as well. The boat launch at Sailor Bar is a cool spot to fish and watch the Hex hatch. The Geothe Park area has some large backwater areas which are silty enough for the Hex. I bet they also come off in the backwaters of the RIO cut, behind Rio Americano High School.

I believe that there is also a small hatch on Arden Pond.

If you fish with Hex flies on the backwaters of the American get ready to catch multiple squaws and suckers. You might even caucth a few steeelhead smolt/par which everyone thinks are trout.

Moose
07-13-2005, 04:11 PM
What size are those?

David Lee
07-13-2005, 04:33 PM
What size are those?

Hi Moose - the Crows are pretty large , but I have a big enough mouth to fit a couple in at a time ..... :P

I thought more of you would have lined-up to take the s--t out of me for that one :?:

Most Hex are a #6 , 3x long , if I'm not mistaken (here comes more blackbirds for breakfast :roll: )

David :mrgreen:

Rob
07-13-2005, 07:32 PM
I saw around 20 of the HeX on Lake Natomas on july 4 th.

They were around a inch to inch and a half long.

Rob

Adam Grace
07-14-2005, 12:29 AM
The Hexs are large enough to carry away small children and babys :!:

They are a size 8-6 like David correctly said :lol: :lol: :lol:

About an 1-1.5" in length like Rob said.

About the size of a small bird, they are a huge mayfly, cool insect.

Darian
07-14-2005, 08:26 AM
I know what a baby is but what's a "babbie" :?: :?: :?:

Adam Grace
07-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Darian, I don't know what you're talking about :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Digger
07-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Hey, I can finally see the pic using Mozilla for a change!

Adam Grace
07-14-2005, 09:34 PM
Congratulations Digger.

I switched over to Mozilla Firefox about 8 months ago. All of my friends were using it and told me the benefits. With Firefox you do not get all of the spyware and bad little things to mess with your computer.

I like it alright, explorer is faster and doesn't BURP every once and awhile. But you get too much spyware.

DAMN techno saboteurs!

flyfshrmn
09-01-2006, 02:10 AM
You guys should be warned on the entomology stuff; Jeff is a barely reformed would be entomololgist. His brother is even worse: he is an entomologist.