PDA

View Full Version : Urban Smallmouth raid ....

David Lee
07-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Board member and all-'round good egg Hairstacker joined me on a trip to a SECRET Smallmouth stream deep in the heart of the suburbs today :twisted:

Hair is a Bass-fishin' fool ( I am , as well ...) ..... we had a pretty productive morning out there , with 20-30 fish to hand apiece :shock: - No large ones , however ... they topped out at 11 inches . the red hot fly was a #8 conehead rust Leech .

Considering we were fishing in the middle of a city w/ 80,000 people living in it , we did alright , though in the 11 years I have fished there , it seemed a little slow for the larger fish . Still a scream to get 'em on a 4 or 5 wt .

Highlights included stepping over a sleeping transient to get to a run , waiting for a break in the traffic to clear my backcast while fishing off a bridge , and Hairstackers shock at the number of Bass living in this filthy gem .

In this sort of game ..... you'd better have your 'telephone-booth' cast together , otherwise , you will be fishin' for squirrels !! A good roll cast and the ability to drop that fly 2 inches off the bank , under overhanging tree branches , is vital to getting bit . I can't think of ANY situation where casting is as tough ....

Fishing w/ a fellow board member is the coolest thing - I hope you all have that chance soon !!

David