PDA

View Full Version : Spey rodin for Trout

Adam Grace
07-10-2005, 11:16 AM
On my last trip to the Yuba I brought along my spey rod in hopes of hooking one of those large beefy trout on a streamer. I fished the spey quite a bit that day with no luck. I used a 15' type 6 head the whole day. There were planty of spots where I should have switched to the Type 8 with the compensator. The river is still moving along fairly fast and there are more deep channels since the ultra high flows of the Spring.

I had not cast a spey rod in roughly five months. I had tons of fun, even though the wind was blowing pretty strong at times. The windy situation gave me an excuse to cast off of my left side much more than I would do if there was no wind.

Windy conditions like that require a spey caster to be diverse in their ability to implement all of the different casts for the long rod. If I had not practiced casting with my left hand or casting accross my body I would have be unable to cast as far as I needed. Certain spey fishing situations like windy days, remind me just how important casting practice can be.

Even though the conditions were windy I still enjoyed getting out there and casting my spey rod again.

Bill, Thanks again for the Torque 10 reel, it felt great on my rod. The silver color also looked very nice!

Jasonh
07-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Adam, glad to see you brought the spey rod out to the yuba. Sounds like the fishing is fairly tought right now if you could not get anything on streamers. I am looking forward to taking my ARC up there in august when i am home. We should meet up.

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
07-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Sound good Jason, We'll try to scare something up with our long rods :D

Jasonh
07-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Looking forward to it. I will be back aug 13-22 so hopefully we can find the time.

Jason Hartwick