PDA

View Full Version : Extended Body

Digger
07-06-2005, 11:41 AM
I was looking at Adam's great pics of the Hex Mayfly and its prominent long and turned up abdomen. This reminded me that I've never tied an 'extended body' type of fly.
What's the technique used for building one of these? I'm guessing there are a few various approches. I apologize if this perhaps not as specific a question as it should be.
Thanks...

SullyTM
07-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Digger...one method is to put a nail or needle in the vise, lightly tie in seer hair to cover the entire nail/needle...lightly wrap with thread to cover all of the deer hair and coat with Dave's Flexment..let dry and ta-da! you have an extended body...you can color it with water proof pens. Hope that gets you started. Thom

David Lee
07-06-2005, 03:45 PM
You could do it that way ..... But you'd have to hope the Seer would stand still long enough and not read what's on your mind .

:twisted: The Mayor :twisted:

SullyTM
07-06-2005, 03:49 PM
...that's DEER hair :oops:

P.S. You got my vote :!:

David Lee
07-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey , there Birthday Boy - why'dya have to edit your post ?? Now MINE looks funny :roll:

Speaking of seers .... I'm so glad fish can't read minds (or fishing books) .

David

David Lee
07-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Oh , yes .... extended bodies -

Take some Antron , Z-Lon , or like stuff (Lon Chaney ??) , put one end in your vise , and start twistin' .

When it's good and wound-up , put your bodkin or head-cement needle in the middle of said material (underneath , pushing UP-) and relax the tension - it should twist back on itself , forming a furled body . Pinch off as much as ya need , and tye in .

David

Darian
07-06-2005, 03:59 PM
What the h___ is a SEER :?: :?: :P :P :P

If I recall correctly, Partridge or some other company make a hook which extends the hook wire beyond the eye to create a support for an extended body fly.... 8) Not something I subscribe to, tho. :? It sinks too easily. :(

My favorite is to tie in a mallard or other duck breast feather by the tips and draw it back to the rear by the stem to make it long/slim. Then I cement the feather to make it stiff. The tips then can become an upright/divided wing if desired.... 8) Of course, there're other feathers that can be used as well.... :wink:

MSP
07-06-2005, 04:06 PM
I of course use my Carpet material, just tie it in near the bend and twist it tight. I then either run a few wraps of thread up and down the extension or apply a little super glue. They are kind of a pain and only really needed when throwing over picky fish in slow water. Haven't done that in a while :cry: The Henrys Fork comes to mind 8)

SullyTM
07-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Mr. Mayor...SEER hair does sound better. Re-edited for those who can read :lol:

DonCooksey
07-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I've used deer hair myself, but I've seen Hex patterns in Michigan with yellow foam used for an extended body. Here is a link to one that I found on the web just now:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fly_pictures/foam_extended_hex.htm

Digger
07-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Digger...one method is to put a nail or needle in the vise, lightly tie in seer hair to cover the entire nail/needle...lightly wrap with thread to cover all of the deer hair and coat with Dave's Flexment..let dry and ta-da! you have an extended body...you can color it with water proof pens. Hope that gets you started. Thom

So this is not glued to the needle, right? You just slide it off and then tie it in somehow to the hook, yes?
And the tails should be put on first before the deer/seer hair?
Sorry, I'm a slow, self taught tyer.

Digger
07-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Oh , yes .... extended bodies -

Take some Antron , Z-Lon , or like stuff (Lon Chaney ??) , put one end in your vise , and start twistin' .

When it's good and wound-up , put your bodkin or head-cement needle in the middle of said material (underneath , pushing UP-) and relax the tension - it should twist back on itself , forming a furled body . Pinch off as much as ya need , and tye in .

David

David, sorry I'm having difficulties visualizing this. Can you give me another shot at this method with more detail? Thanks

David Lee
07-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Digger , no problema ....

Don't visualize it ... just do it - Take , say , 6 inches of antron yarn - put one end in your vise and clamp down .

Grab the yarn by the end NOT clamped , and start twisting the yarn . After you twist for a while , the yarn will want to twist back on itself .... the bodkin or needle is to make sure the furled body is long enough .

Try it and let me know if you understand .

David

DonCooksey
07-09-2005, 08:16 PM
I just remembered this extended body dragonfly that I tied as a whimsical fly for my 3-yr-old granddaughter. My wife asked me to tie something colorful to use as a broche to pin on the kid (after cutting off the hook at the bend, of course!). I used a strip of foam as a foundation for the extended body and some sort of chartreuse "streamer hair," that I picked somewhere, to wrap over the foam. It was remarkably durable for at least two days, as the kid dragged and swung it around by the tail and wings. Anyway, I'm suggesting that foam can make a good foundation under an over-wrap of natural/synthetic material for extended bodies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/DonCooksey/P4280059.jpg

Adam Grace
07-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Good sugestion!

Rick J
07-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Don't overlook extended bodies for tiny dries - I use micro chennile and slightly singe the end to create a tapered body and tie in a short piece that extends just past the hook bend; then small bubbed thorax - tie up in size 20 to 24 to imitate trico and blue wing olive spinners - very deadly on Silver Creek. Don't need tails on the pattern though when industrious I will crazy glue fibbets on each side and flair out - looks better to me but fish don't seem to care