PDA

View Full Version : steelhead/salmon flies??

steve sullivan
07-04-2005, 06:12 PM
What are some good classic steelhead salmon flies? Am especially interested in the comet (can someone give me a link to a step by step description of how to tie, plus what materials are needed?) and patterns that use marabou.

Darian
07-04-2005, 07:05 PM
The title, Comet or Boss describes, generically, a type of Salmon and Steelhead fly Pattern. For example, there's a Gold Comet and Silver Comet, etc. 8) Likewise, there're Black, Orange, Flame Boss and Howard Norton Specials, etc. Let's start with a classic Gold Comet:

Tail: orange Polar Bear, Bucktail or Kip (1 1/2 X length of body and cocked at a 30 degree angle from hook shank)

Body: oval gold tinsel or braided mylar to shoulder (weight optional)

Hackle: 3 turns of mixed yellow/orange saddle hackle (tied wet)

Eyes: gold bead chain (appropriate size for hook)

Thread: Orange

Hook: Any brand, 1X to 2X long and strong. Some tie these flies traditional Salmon irons or on nickel or gold eletro-plated hooks.

This fly may be varied by changing any of the components to match your current need.

The Boss is a pattern created using the same tying techniques and components but the body material is usually chenille or dubbing and may vary in color. The body may be ribbed with silver or gold oval tinsel or flat mylar. Sizes on both of these patterns range from 2 - 10.... 8) 8)

Descriptions/photo's of these patterns and many more are available in the book, Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon by Ferguson, Johnson/Trotter. 8) 8)

Hope this helps..... :D :D :D

steve sullivan
07-04-2005, 10:52 PM
The title, Comet or Boss describes, generically, a type of Salmon and Steelhead fly Pattern. For example, there's a Gold Comet and Silver Comet, etc. 8) Likewise, there're Black, Orange, Flame Boss and Howard Norton Specials, etc. Let's start with a classic Gold Comet:

Tail: orange Polar Bear, Bucktail or Kip (1 1/2 X length of body and cocked at a 30 degree angle from hook shank)

Body: oval gold tinsel or braided mylar to shoulder (weight optional)

Hackle: 3 turns of mixed yellow/orange saddle hackle (tied wet)

Eyes: gold bead chain (appropriate size for hook)

Thread: Orange

Hook: Any brand, 1X to 2X long and strong. Some tie these flies traditional Salmon irons or on nickel or gold eletro-plated hooks.

This fly may be varied by changing any of the components to match your current need.

The Boss is a pattern created using the same tying techniques and components but the body material is usually chenille or dubbing and may vary in color. The body may be ribbed with silver or gold oval tinsel or flat mylar. Sizes on both of these patterns range from 2 - 10.... 8) 8)

Descriptions/photo's of these patterns and many more are available in the book, Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon by Ferguson, Johnson/Trotter. 8) 8)

Hope this helps..... :D :D :D

Thanks Darian.

BigBuddha
07-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Better yet what flies are most effective on the Feather and the American for salmon? I would like to start working on some for the upcoming season.

Darian
07-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Hey BB,.... Unless you're fishin' in estuaries,.... Salmon flies are pretty much generic. 8) 8) Two of my favorites for the American, one bright, one dark, follow:

Boss (generic) 8) . Tyer was C. DeJournette :D .

Hook: Mustad 3908 or Eagle Claw 1197, Size 2 - 8.
Thread: black, size 3/0.
Tail: brown kip tail (length of body).
Body: black chenille (medium or plush size), heavily weighted.
Rib: oval siver tinsel (small or medium based on size of hook).
Hackle: brown saddle hackle (3 turns).
Eyes: silver bead chain.
Head: wrapped with green Krenik Braid (small, cover tying thread).

Gold Comet (My own adaption) 8) :

Hook: Mustad 3908 or Eagle Claw 1197, size 2 - 8.
Thread: Flourescent Orange waxed Floss.
Tail: black Squirrel Tail (length of body) topped with 6 strands, black Krystal Flash. All tied in at 30 degree angle to body.
Body: gold mylar braid (weight optional).
Hackle: mixed orange and yellow saddle hackles (3 turns each)
Eyes: gold bead chain (optional)
Head: orange tying thread.

The Gold Comet may be tied very heavy or light, depending on intended use 8) . I've taken several Stripers on the black boss while Salmon fishin'. :D :D

Keep your Salmon flies of simple design because you will lose a bunch....

Good luck.... :D :D

steve sullivan
07-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Better yet what flies are most effective on the Feather and the American for salmon? I would like to start working on some for the upcoming season.

The upcoming season?? Salmon season is already here on the feather. I saw 3 dead salmon float by while fishing the chinese temple area of the feather the other day. I was preety surprised, arent they supposed to not die off till Oct-feb?

Jasonh
07-12-2005, 10:01 AM
For salmon on the valley rivers i enjoy swinging #2 black egg sucking articulated leeches. They always seem to work.

Jason Hartwick