PDA

View Full Version : New to Sacramento - need recommendations

BillPu
07-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi all,

Just moved the family to Sac and wondered if anyone can recommend a place to wet a line. I'm in serious need to unwind after the move. Bass and/or panfish on poppers sound like a great idea. I have a 5 wt, would this be too light? I was looking at getting a 7 wt specifically for bass bugging.

Thanks in advance!

Bill :D

David Lee
07-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Welcome to Sacramento , Bill !!

Folsom lake at browns ravine is a good bet for surface action .

Stick around .... I'm sure , in a few days , you will have some offers from friendly locals to take ya out and show you around .

You'll like it here , its a fishin' city !!

David

Darian
07-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi Bill,.... Good to have you up here. I'm a long time SoCal transplant. 8) 8)

Not sure what part of Sacramento you've moved to but here's a few locations to try within a relatively short distance from the Mid-town area:

Arden Ponds - at the end of Arden Ave. and the parkway, Fair Oaks

Pond at Elk Grove Park - Elk Grove-Florin Rd., Elk Grove

Laguna Creek - Bond Rd and Elk Grove-Florin Rd, Elk Grove

Lower American River - No. side above Howe Av. (slow water behind islands)

There's a bunch of others that require more travel. A listing of those places are available from Kiene's Fly Shop (haven't checked yet, but may be available on this site)

Get out the and enjoy..... 8) 8) 8) [/i]

BillPu
07-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi Bill,.... Good to have you up here. I'm a long time SoCal transplant. 8) 8)

Not sure what part of Sacramento you've moved to but here's a few locations to try within a relatively short distance from the Mid-town area:

Arden Ponds - at the end of Arden Ave. and the parkway, Fair Oaks

Pond at Elk Grove Park - Elk Grove-Florin Rd., Elk Grove

Laguna Creek - Bond Rd and Elk Grove-Florin Rd, Elk Grove

Lower American River - No. side above Howe Av. (slow water behind islands)

There's a bunch of others that require more travel. A listing of those places are available from Kiene's Fly Shop (haven't checked yet, but may be available on this site)

Get out the and enjoy..... 8) 8) 8) [/i]

Thanks Darian!

We're in Elk Grove right now until our new house is completed. I'll definitely check out the 2 you mentioned in the Elk Grove area. I've never fished for bass with a fly rod before, so would a 5 wt be sufficient to throw poppers? Or would I need something like a 7 wt?

Thanks again and I hope to see you out on the water sometime.

Bill

Hairstacker
07-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Bill, I regularly use a WF6F bass bug taper fly line on a 5 wt. rod to throw size 2 deerhair poppers and Clousers. If you have a relatively assertive 5 wt., it should work fine as long as you don't tend toward big, wind-resistant flies. On the other hand, a 7wt. is a handy rod to have. :wink:

BillPu
07-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Bill, I regularly use a WF6F bass bug taper fly line on a 5 wt. rod to throw size 2 deerhair poppers and Clousers. If you have a relatively assertive 5 wt., it should work fine as long as you don't tend toward big, wind-resistant flies. On the other hand, a 7wt. is a handy rod to have. :wink:

Mike,

Any excuse for a new rod! :lol: After all the hard work in moving, I don't think my wife will complain about a little old fishin rod! and reel, and spare spools, floating line, sink tips, leaders, poppers, bass bugs, I really need a lightweight wader and of course new wading boots and oh yeah a new vest and possibly a net...did I forget anything?? :shock:

Bill

Hairstacker
07-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Bill, my thinking EXACTLY! :lol:

Adam Grace
07-04-2005, 06:24 PM
BIll, I second MIkes advice. A 5wt would be fine for most bass fishing. A 7wt would be better when casting large wind resistant flies. If you plan on fishing very weedy water eriously think about a 7w, much more strength to muscle a bass out of a clump of weeds. The 7wt would also be good for catcthing consistantly large bass.

Once you find out how to consistantly catch the large ones let me know :D

I fish my local ponds with a 4wt and I have landed bass up to 2lbs, not large but fun. Your five should easily get you started. I especially like Mike's recomendatin of over lining a 5wt rod with a 6wt bass line. Bass lines have a short beefy front taper which helps turn over large bulky bass flies.

Welcome to the area and good luck with those bass.

Darian
07-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Hey Bill,.... What about a new float tube, pontoon boat or pram :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Since you live in the Elk Grove area, there're a couple of additional places that you might be interested in. Try Rancho Seco Lake (off hwy 104 east of Hwy 99). You should be able to see the cooling towers from EG. It's very windy there and the Bass can get up to 9 pounds there. Don't recommend anything less than a 7 weight, there.

Also, try the Cosumnes River out near Rancho Murietta (around Hwy 16 crossing) but watch out for p;rivate property boundaries. :roll: Also, if you head down the Frankilen/Hood area, you'll run into some sloughs and back waters from the Mokelumne River and slightly further down the road is Snodgrass Slough.... (altho, this one is not good fly water... :cry: Too much cover on the banks)

Good luck and have fun....